What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Interpreting The Doors (BRC 4.4.8)

Started by , Sep 24 2020 04:13 AM
3 Replies

Not a topic on the writings of Jim Morrison, but rather an interpretation question of 4.4.8 with covers external doors.

In the guide it states, "Where external doors to enclosed product areas are opened, suitable precautions must be taken to prevent pest ingress."

Would a storage shed which contains finished product (packaged goods) be required to have strip curtains, or quick-close doors?

Or is the "enclosed product area" they are talking about an area in the manufacturing plant where the product is entirely enclosed?

The definition in the guide is "An area of the factory where all products are fully enclosed and therefore not vulnerable to environmental contamination", which makes me think that the packaged goods sheds don't need such protection.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Interpreting ComBase results Interpreting The Doors (BRC 4.4.8)? Need help interpreting CODEX standard microbial limits for modified starch Help interpreting e. coli reading results Help needed interpreting micro test results
[Ad]

"Enclosed product areas" encompasses both manufacturing areas where product is fully enclosed, and storage areas for enclosed/packaged product - see Appendix II page 92 of the standard.

I know rapid-rise doors are more costly, but IMEX they can help encouraging people to open/close as needed, rather than leaving them open whilst making multiple trips in/out. I'd be inclined to put strip curtains on it either way though ;)

1 Thank

external, meaning opening to environmental conditions.

Would apply to your "shed."

Would not apply to inner rooms in a larger facility that in turn have external openings to the outside environment.

I see a steady movement away from strip curtains to rapid doors.

1 Like1 Thank

Unfortunately, your shed where finished goods are stored does need doors. In my experience, as the manual roll-up doors become worn, facilities are adopting high-speed roll up doors. These systems are very expensive ($10,000 or more each) however, doing one at a time may be an easier pitch.

In the meantime, train your personnel really well on pest pressure and why doors should remain closed. Monitor these areas and issue actions for personnel that do not comply. Its not a permanent fix but it should help.

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
Interpreting ComBase results Interpreting The Doors (BRC 4.4.8)? Need help interpreting CODEX standard microbial limits for modified starch Help interpreting e. coli reading results Help needed interpreting micro test results Help interpreting section 1.5 in the SQF Code ISO 22000 Clause 5.7 - Help needed interpreting the requirements Need some help interpreting hand swab results? I need your help interpreting the requirements of Clause 3.4.4? Help Interpreting Clause 1.3.4 - Key Staff