What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Bulk Cookie Dough Metal Detection

Started by , Jan 08 2021 08:04 PM
7 Replies

Hello all, I work in a cookie dough factory and we plan on packing bulk cookie dough into 3lb plastic tubs. The plan is to send the packed product through a metal detector or x-ray to ensure the product is free from any foreign material. The issue is that we don't have the proper equipment to do this for this specific product. Obviously I would love to just go out and buy a new metal detector but I don't have that authority and I don't the my CEO would be ok with me spending all that money lol. Does any one have any suggestions on what we could use? or what I should be looking for? Thanks! 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Migration Testing of Bulk Containers for the Food Industry How do you keep traceability of bulk flour? Shelf life of sunflower oil in bulk or in silos Hazard Analysis - Bulk Bag Lifting frame in production areas Food Defense for bulk liquid fructose transfer stations
[Ad]

Cookie dough is incredible dense. I really think you're only options is to get a dedicated machine. Whatever you currently have isn't going to be large enough to penetrate that product. :(

I'd be pushing for x-ray for this product

1 Like1 Thank

Hello all, I work in a cookie dough factory and we plan on packing bulk cookie dough into 3lb plastic tubs. The plan is to send the packed product through a metal detector or x-ray to ensure the product is free from any foreign material. The issue is that we don't have the proper equipment to do this for this specific product. Obviously I would love to just go out and buy a new metal detector but I don't have that authority and I don't the my CEO would be ok with me spending all that money lol. Does any one have any suggestions on what we could use? or what I should be looking for? Thanks! 

Hi minighi,

Yr OP is ambiguous, eg "proper", "new". Do you mean you already have a MD but worry that it is insufficiently sensitive ? (this is a typical problem with large packages). What sensitivity (eg LOD) do you (or yr customer) require ?

If zero financial resources, the choice is presumably limited to organoleptic, eg Visual.

Charles.C

we have one and we have been told by our X-Ray technician that it is not sufficient for this bulk dough and that we should not be using it to test with. i am not sure what sensitivity we or this specific customer requires, but I can find out

Charles.C

we have one and we have been told by our X-Ray technician that it is not sufficient for this bulk dough and that we should not be using it to test with. i am not sure what sensitivity we or this specific customer requires, but I can find out

Perhaps ask yr technician for some measured sensitivity data to post here.

To be clear YOU or your CUSTOMER do not decide sensitivity. It is determined by product AND packaging type. There are alot of variable in metal detector and/or X-ray and it is not a cut a dry thing to get right at the set up--simple to run once done however

If your tech is telling you the machine you have is insufficient-believe him

When procuring a new piece of detection they always ask alot of questions and this is why--the detector needs to be the correct size and type for each FG to ensure its actually functioning

Last place i was at would actually change the sensitivity settings if the MD starting acting up!!!!!!!  That is not a solution.  

Don't mean to rant on this but the real folks you should be asking are the technical reps for the manufacturers of these kinds of equipment--otherwise you're wasting your time

To be clear YOU or your CUSTOMER do not decide sensitivity. It is determined by product AND packaging type. There are alot of variable in metal detector and/or X-ray and it is not a cut a dry thing to get right at the set up--simple to run once done however

If your tech is telling you the machine you have is insufficient-believe him

When procuring a new piece of detection they always ask alot of questions and this is why--the detector needs to be the correct size and type for each FG to ensure its actually functioning

Last place i was at would actually change the sensitivity settings if the MD starting acting up!!!!!!!  That is not a solution.  

Don't mean to rant on this but the real folks you should be asking are the technical reps for the manufacturers of these kinds of equipment--otherwise you're wasting your time

Hi Scampi,

And yet Canada has Regulatory limits ? :smile:

Yep Charles we do---they would change the sensitivity so "smalls" wouldn't keep setting the machine off but would still reject finding at or above the regulatory size-----sigh I was only there 5 weeks and i knew on day 2 it wasn't going to work for me--I won't name the company but they are in the top 10 worlds largest food processing companies---i should have researched it more before i even took the job-turns out they are in legal hot water all of the time. Lesson learned

They helped solidify what I already believed------huge companies with deep pockets can buy themselves into compliance

Similar Discussion Topics
Migration Testing of Bulk Containers for the Food Industry How do you keep traceability of bulk flour? Shelf life of sunflower oil in bulk or in silos Hazard Analysis - Bulk Bag Lifting frame in production areas Food Defense for bulk liquid fructose transfer stations Bulk density - Master Specification creation Supersack-Bulk Bag Resealing Environmental Pathogens in a Bulk Truck Use of compressed air to fill a Flexible Intermediate Bulk Container before filling Bulk Tank CIP temperature