Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 12 February 2024 - 03:50 AM

Hello everyone, I'm a new member in this forum.

I have a question regarding the use of bulk containers for food products. Any help is appreciated. So far, the use of bulk containers such as IBCs, jerry cans, and barrels has been mainly for chemicals or oils. If we want to use these bulk containers as food packaging, do we need to conduct migration testing? Can I use the UN Marking testing standard as the main document for food safety?

Thanks in advanced,

Susi

Venkateshkini

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 12 February 2024 - 05:15 AM

You can ask the supplier to provide the migration test reports, as most of the Food Grade packaging material suppliers do it for their certification process. Also if you are having / going for any management system certifications (BRC/ISO/FSSC etc) then you need to do migration testing at your end also. 

There special UN grade IBCs available (for the sue of hazardous materials, as they should not leak while transferring / transporting).  For food sector you may not need UN IBCs, however you can ask supplier to provide leak proof IBCs. 

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:32 AM

Hello everyone, I'm a new member in this forum.

I have a question regarding the use of bulk containers for food products. Any help is appreciated. So far, the use of bulk containers such as IBCs, jerry cans, and barrels has been mainly for chemicals or oils. If we want to use these bulk containers as food packaging, do we need to conduct migration testing? Can I use the UN Marking testing standard as the main document for food safety?

Thanks in advanced,

Susi

I wouldn't use the UN marking alone, although it may be useful / necessary as part of determining suitability for certain potentially hazardous food materials from a health and safety / shipping requirements perspective.

Typically I'd expect the supplier of the packaging to provide the migration testing evidence and a declaration of compliance. Exactly what that covers will depend on the market(s) into which you are supplying your finished products.

It might not be necessary to do any of your own migration testing, but that will depend on what evidence your suppliers can provide, the conclusions of your own risk assessments on the suppliers and their materials etc.

MOHAMMED ZAMEERUDDIN

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 276 posts
  • 59 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Sharing the Knowledge

Posted 12 February 2024 - 11:08 AM

Request the supplier to provide migration test reports.

susi_say

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 13 February 2024 - 02:39 AM

I didn't think about it that far, thank you

I wouldn't use the UN marking alone, although it may be useful / necessary as part of determining suitability for certain potentially hazardous food materials from a health and safety / shipping requirements perspective.

Typically I'd expect the supplier of the packaging to provide the migration testing evidence and a declaration of compliance. Exactly what that covers will depend on the market(s) into which you are supplying your finished products.

It might not be necessary to do any of your own migration testing, but that will depend on what evidence your suppliers can provide, the conclusions of your own risk assessments on the suppliers and their materials etc.

susi_say

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 13 February 2024 - 02:43 AM

The cost of migration testing is quite high and they don't really need it that much, so I'm confused whether I actually need to do it myself or not.
But thank you so much for your answer

You can ask the supplier to provide the migration test reports, as most of the Food Grade packaging material suppliers do it for their certification process. Also if you are having / going for any management system certifications (BRC/ISO/FSSC etc) then you need to do migration testing at your end also. 

There special UN grade IBCs available (for the sue of hazardous materials, as they should not leak while transferring / transporting).  For food sector you may not need UN IBCs, however you can ask supplier to provide leak proof IBCs. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users