• Quick Navigation
Photo
- - - - -

Allergen & radiological declarations for food contact materials?

BRC Food contact materials

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RSantos

RSantos

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:10 AM

Hello,

I am currently doing an internship in a red meat company and i am currently managing material technical data sheets and compliance declarations. Our company demands that Plastic suppliers send an "allergen declaration" and a " radiological hazards declaration". I would like to know what specific clause of BRC demands this two declarations.

Further, our knives supplier states that for this specific material it is not required to send this two declarations but as it is a food contact material (clause 4.7.5), at least the "allergen declaration" should be needed, am i right?

Thanks in advance,

#2 pHruit

pHruit

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 717 posts
  • 297 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:38 PM

BRC generally doesn't have a "thou shalt" approach* to this type of thing - really it is up to the business to determine how they want to meet the aims of the standard.

4.7.5 is more focussed on the stuff you're using to maintain your site, rather than the equipment itself - this sites more in 4.6.

Is the plastic part of your equipment or a packaging material? The latter is fairly simple as this falls under 3.5.1.

Equipment is more ambiguous as the standard necessarily has to cover the entire spectrum of materials and equipment used in the food industry, so rather than giving an enormous checklist where 90+% will be inapplicable to any given business, they've instead gone with more generic requirements like "constructed of appropriate materials" and "suitable for food contact and meet legal requirements where applicable".

Your business (i.e. probably your boss, given that you're an intern) would need to determine what those requirements are.

*It is very "thou shalt" about doing risk assessments, though ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

EV SSL Certificate