What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Does fish oil (crude and refined) contains histamine?

Started by , Jan 21 2021 07:16 AM
3 Replies

Does fish oil (crude and refined) contains histamine? I will appreciate if there is a link on the standard of histamine in fish oil. Many thanks.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
COOL - Substantial Transformation of fish (USA) Highly Refined Soybean Oil Validation - NBFDS - BE- Bioengineered Shelf life issue fresh fish Production plan on fish pie with sweet potato croquette in a mushroom sauce and puff pastry Cutting fresh water fish
[Ad]

Hello Mandark,

My experience dealing with histamine was on a  Scombroid Toxin outbreak a while back, where the source of the outbreak were from frozen fish fillets. (Improper fish storage prior to freezing). Histamine build up occurs naturally during fish storage; longer the fish is stored, more histamine is produced. So, It basically comes down to how long your suppliers are storing the fish products prior to refining the product.

The link below should give you some additional information on histamine levels. If you are unsure you can always send samples to the labs to determine if the product has histamine and the levels of histamines present.

https://www.fsai.ie/...amine_fish.html

Hope this helps :)

1 Thank

Does fish oil (crude and refined) contains histamine? I will appreciate if there is a link on the standard of histamine in fish oil. Many thanks.

Hi Mandark,

fish species = ?

see -

histamine levels of fish.pdf   47.31KB   8 downloads

Histamine in Fish and Fishery Products.pdf   647.37KB   11 downloads

1 Thank

Hi Charles C. and Rhondak,

Raw Ingredient is tuna. I check the Codex Alimentarius standards and fish oil supplier sites and found that there is no standard of histamine for fish oil. On page 114 of FDA's Fish and Fishery Products Hazards and Control Guidance, it states that Histamine is water soluble (dissolves in water) and would not be expected in significant quantity in products such as fish oil that do not have a water component.

We are still checking with our external laboratories and equipment supplier if histamine analysis for fish oil is possible. 

Regards,

Mandark

Similar Discussion Topics
COOL - Substantial Transformation of fish (USA) Highly Refined Soybean Oil Validation - NBFDS - BE- Bioengineered Shelf life issue fresh fish Production plan on fish pie with sweet potato croquette in a mushroom sauce and puff pastry Cutting fresh water fish Making HACCP in fish factory Canadian and US maximum permissible level of heavy metals in fish Haddock Fish - orange/pink in colour - potential causes? Manufacture of Poultry, Livestock and Fish Feed HACCP Glass procedure for fish factory