What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Pest Control-Can you do it yourself?

Started by , Mar 24 2021 01:48 PM
6 Replies

Thank you for taking the time to look at my topic. We are a small scale manufacturer (30 employees) and only GMP audited. Our current pest control company does not provide much of the necessary documentation needed to pass the pest control portions of our audits(reporting, trend analysis etc.). I am currently doing almost everything already, all that they are doing is baiting the outdoor traps which I can easily buy their rodenticide online. We are looking at ways to save on operating expenses, and see this as an avenue to save. Has anyone had any success running their own pest control program? Thank you.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF Requirements - Pest Control Validation of prerequisites such as pest control Pest Control Risk Assessment Report Form Supplier Multiple Non-Conformances Pest BRCGSv9 Clause 4.14.7 - Pest Management on Birds
[Ad]

You would only need the relevant training and regulatory licenses granting you the ability to apply pesticides. Other than that, I don't think you would run into much trouble doing it yourself

you would have to demonstrate to an auditor that:

1. Your training courses/classes are at a sufficient or recognized level to allow you to perform pest control activities;

2. You have the relevant legal and/or regulatory licenses and contracts

3. Insurance, etc.

Depending on what you're planning on doing-you may need (usually during an audit they ask for licenses for PCOs)

A) exterminator license

B) Pest Control Chemical License

If you're just putting down traps and checking them in theory I guess you could but do you know how many and where to put them?

Silly place to save a buck IMO

FYI (at least in Canada)  you cannot buy the "good stuff" that a PCO can UNLESS you have a pest control license

Unless you live in a "one horse town" find another PC provider. After training, licensing, examinations, equipment and poisons, I doubt you will see a financial gain in the short term. Maybe long term of 1-3 years. Unless of course they are really gouging the wallet...

conducting your own pest control is usually not beneficial  for the reasons stated above.  

i have done my own trending in the past.   i have also had internal employees check traps on weeks when PCO doesn't.   

It was mentioned above, but this will change based on where you ARE. Pest control licensing (fee's, training required, I think even insurance requirements) will typically be regulated by the government. For example, Texas Department of Agriculture handles it here in Texas and there are training, exam, and I believe some OTJ hour requirements before an applicator license can be applied for.

You mentioned that you could easily buy their rodenticide online. That doesn't always mean it's legal in your area to use/apply it without a license.

Hi there, have you considered to change company?

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF Requirements - Pest Control Validation of prerequisites such as pest control Pest Control Risk Assessment Report Form Supplier Multiple Non-Conformances Pest BRCGSv9 Clause 4.14.7 - Pest Management on Birds SQF Pest Control Module 10 Need help with laundry and pest control service performance monitoring check list How to collect pest control data for easier monitoring? USDA Pest Sighting- Plant shutdown Pest prevention for spices and botanicals