• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 March 2024 - 06:05 PM

Hello!

I have a question regarding pest control and SQF requirements. Currently, we have an in-house program that does not involve any use of pesticides. I was under the impression that staff education on our Pest Control Program was sufficient but I am thinking that may no longer be an accurate thought.

In terms of online training, is there anyone that can provide resources for pest control training I would be able to use for my team to satisfy the SQF requirement?

TIA to anyone who takes the time out of their day to answer my query  :smile:

KellyQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 March 2024 - 06:17 PM

Hello! 

Everyone should be aware of Pest Prevention. Training for employees should be on what pests are, signs of pest activity, what to do when pest activity is observed, and how to prevent pests/their responsibility.

If you are talking about an employee doing the inspection themselves, the SQF Food Safety Code: Food Manufacturing Edition 9 - Module 11 (11.2.4.2) states: 

Pest Contractors and/or internal pest controllers shall be licensed and approved by the local relevant authority. 

E N B K

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 March 2024 - 06:31 PM

Hello! 

Everyone should be aware of Pest Prevention. Training for employees should be on what pests are, signs of pest activity, what to do when pest activity is observed, and how to prevent pests/their responsibility.

If you are talking about an employee doing the inspection themselves, the SQF Food Safety Code: Food Manufacturing Edition 9 - Module 11 (11.2.4.2) states: 

Pest Contractors and/or internal pest controllers shall be licensed and approved by the local relevant authority. 

Hi KellyQA!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I should have clarified that I was referring to employees doing the inspections.

We don't currently use a 3rd party company for pest control but it seems that my local regulations only speak to chemical pesticide applicators needing a license which I feel created a grey area for non-chemical using facilities. However, this makes me wonder if it applies to everyone across the board, including non-chemical using facilities.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 March 2024 - 06:39 PM

As long as your training includes pest behaviour you should be ok.  Do you have a written procedure for what would happen if a mouse is captured?   What about an insect infestation?  you need to document all scenarios in the event they happen.

BTW no one should be using pesticides INSIDE, so be default the interior of every food processor is chemical free pest control

Don't forget to track and trend your findings

You don't use anything on the exterior of your building?   

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

KellyQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 March 2024 - 06:51 PM

Hi KellyQA!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I should have clarified that I was referring to employees doing the inspections.

We don't currently use a 3rd party company for pest control but it seems that my local regulations only speak to chemical pesticide applicators needing a license which I feel created a grey area for non-chemical using facilities. However, this makes me wonder if it applies to everyone across the board, including non-chemical using facilities.

You could opt to do a once a month inspection from a 3rd party company, and depending on your frequency, have an internal employee inspect for activity, and call as needed for pest removal or other problems. I understand that many inspections can be costly, but this could help cut some costs. Training for a license to meet the code can be costly and has to be updated every so often. 

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 March 2024 - 08:55 PM

You can train employees in-house yourself so long as you have an SOP describing what needs to be done, just train employees doing the checks and any fly paper replacements to that SOP.

We did in-house checks at my first plant, a custodian would check all the traps and mark them on the inside, and replace pheromone traps while recording the insect captures.  We had training for him and a backup on our internal program and auditors had no issue.  Then once a month we had a PCO who would evaluate our activity records, make changes to locations or pheromone traps as needed, and then give us an exterior spray for weeds and insects.  If we told the PCO ahead of time, they were able to provide trainings as well and offered certificates for our employees.  A PCO giving one of your managers the training would be a great extra backup step to prove your trainer is qualified to train on the in-house SOP.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users