What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Sodium Benzoate as a preservative in pickled vegetables

Started by , May 12 2021 12:09 PM
4 Replies

Hello, I make pickled vegetables in brine, we use Sodium Benzoate, potassium sorbate, calcium chloride. A potential customer wants to remove the preservatives and have the product heat treated, would anyone know the potential issues before I get too deep in this? As always thank you for your time.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Water Concentration recommended for a cooling bath using Sodium hypochlorite 12.5% Sodium Metabisulphite: Food additive or processing aid in potato production? Supplier reducing sodium in product - still have old packaging film on hand Sodium Hydroxide Lead Time in the UK Sodium Caseinate INS Number?
[Ad]

I've got no experience in pickling, but you will potentially have yeast/mold problems without those preservatives.  It is dependent on your heat treatment, environmental air quality, and overall GMP's.

You may consider reducing shelf-life as well depending on risk assessment.

In case you haven't you should check the CFR for acidified foods regulations on heating and schedule process.  Agreed about potential yeast/mold, depending on the pH.  

In case you haven't you should check the CFR for acidified foods regulations on heating and schedule process.  Agreed about potential yeast/mold, depending on the pH.  

This ^.  it appears you should have a scheduled process and changes only to made by process authority.   if you fall into this category, there are many regulations that shall be followed.  

Yes, your scheduled process will have to be reviewed and probably revised if you remove the sodium benzoate.  The other two are used for a crisper pickle--although the jury is out on that one

I worked at an organic pickling company--zero preservatives but a higher acetic acid percentage.  Followed a scheduled process and we never had issues with yeast/mold--that will only happen if: A) you don't follow the recipe to a T, B) you try and short cut the process or C) caps are not on correctly

There is also a push to get pickles into a hot fill and hold position to reduce the heat exposure........

NOTE: the biggest obstacle to your finished product is most likely the time from harvest to jar------at that location the produce was harvested by noon and in a jar by 7 at night

Similar Discussion Topics
Water Concentration recommended for a cooling bath using Sodium hypochlorite 12.5% Sodium Metabisulphite: Food additive or processing aid in potato production? Supplier reducing sodium in product - still have old packaging film on hand Sodium Hydroxide Lead Time in the UK Sodium Caseinate INS Number? Safe Levels of Sodium Metabisulfite Sodium content in water used as an ingredient Do I need to consider the sodium benzoate as one my CCPs How to measure sodium nitrite content in dry brine mix? Application of sodium metabisulfit for seafood production