What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to get log reduction?

Started by , May 24 2021 05:22 AM
1 Reply

Hi, I have a dried product. I took sample for raw material and test it for coliform as my control. The reading is 884 cfu/g. Then I applied heat at 60 degree C, and took sample to test for coliform and the reading is not detected. Another is I test the TPC from my raw material and the reading 1712 cfu/g and applied heat at 60 degree C and the result was  <25 cfu/g, my question is how to get the log reduction of it. Please I need help to understand it souz I applied different temperature until I got the result i desire for my product. honestly its my first time to do this log reduction. Thank you, boging 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Examples of short and long-term customer complaint reduction strategies Reduction of OPRP monitoring frequency Can I validate a 6 log reduction cook process that is less than 70°C for 2 minutes? Looking for ideas for Food waste reduction Need help understanding log reduction
[Ad]

Hi, I have a dried product. I took sample for raw material and test it for coliform as my control. The reading is 884 cfu/g. Then I applied heat at 60 degree C, and took sample to test for coliform and the reading is not detected. Another is I test the TPC from my raw material and the reading 1712 cfu/g and applied heat at 60 degree C and the result was  <25 cfu/g, my question is how to get the log reduction of it. Please I need help to understand it souz I applied different temperature until I got the result i desire for my product. honestly its my first time to do this log reduction. Thank you, boging 

Hi boging,

1st one is unanswerable without a <X value.

2nd one see example below.

Theory

log reduction.PNG   43.36KB   2 downloads

Example

Hand Sanitiser was tested according to EN 13697 against Escherichia coli using a contact test time of 3 minutes. The control of bacteria was given as 4.02 x 106 (4,020,000 CFUs). The number of CFUs remaining after 5 minutes using Enduro Hand Sanitiser was <10 and a log reduction given of >5.60, i.e. >99.9999% reduction.

Answer/Explanation

4020000/10 = 402000

Log10(402000) = 5.60 (to 2 decimal.places)

(also note the > sign)

PS an online log calculator is here -

https://www.rapidtab...Calculator.html

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
Examples of short and long-term customer complaint reduction strategies Reduction of OPRP monitoring frequency Can I validate a 6 log reduction cook process that is less than 70°C for 2 minutes? Looking for ideas for Food waste reduction Need help understanding log reduction Is there any definitive proof that a 4 log reduction is not adequate for air roasted seeds or beans? Managing the specifications and document reduction Please explain a 6.5 log10 reduction in Salmonella in laymans terms? In Tetrapak centrifuge (Coco Water) what is % reduction of turbidity? 5 Log Reduction & Spices/ Marinades