What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Coliforms in Organic facility

Started by , May 27 2021 05:49 PM
9 Replies

Good day to you all! Thank you for taking time to look at my post first and foremost. I know that IFSQN has the best answers for our industry so with that being said.... We are an Organic facility that has high counts of Coliform. What chemicals can we use to irradiate these bacteria? Currently we use a 3 part wash down and deep clean with a bleach dilution sanitizer. Thoughts? 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Coliforms in Spray Dry Product Coliforms limits for environmental swabbing Reducing Coliforms in the organic sprouts How do you reduce or eliminate coliforms in packaged baked goods at a cookies and crackers manufacturing company? Decision if micro standards not met for indicator bacteria like ACC and coliforms
[Ad]

Biodegradable chemicals - at least, as per Canadian Organic Regulation. I'm not familiar with US Approved Chemical list for organic production, but I guess it's common sense as "organic product" definition would be the same in any country.

HI and welcome!

Coliform are not a particular bacteria, but rather an indicator of cleanliness, usually (but not always) e coli.

Is the coliform count high on surfaces or your products?

You cannot deep clean with bleach, that's not going to help you actually and may in fact be adding to your problem.

There are other approved sanitizers for organic production that you do not have to rinse. The issue with organic certification and using bleach, is that they require a full rinse after use and that defeats the purpose. Sanitizers are meant to be applied and left as they do not work immediately.

I would suggest to:
A) increase your cleaning frequency

B) follow proper handwashing procedures at all times

C) follow the proper sanitation procedure.......debris removal, rinse, foam, scrub where needed, rinse, INSPECT (repeat previous if needed) and then sanitize 

1 Like

Take a look at Ozonated Water.

What kind of product do you manufacture? And when is the high count found (after cleaning and sanitizing, during production, etc)? 

Good Day to you all!

Thank you for taking time to look at my post first and foremost. I know that IFSQN has the best answers for our industry so with that being said....

We are an Organic facility that has high counts of Coliform. What chemicals can we use to irradiate these bacteria? Currently we use a 3 part wash down and deep clean with a bleach dilution sanitizer. 

Thoughts? 

I assume you refer to food contact surfaces.

See Post 5.

What do you quantitatively mean by "high count " ?

How about APC ?

My facility uses an alcohol based sanitizer that is Organic-Approved, see link below.

http://www.bestsanit...rface-sanitizer

My facility uses an alcohol based sanitizer that is Organic-Approved, see link below.

http://www.bestsanit...rface-sanitizer

Hi Spidey,

I'm curious what the other (EPA approved) 30% is ? And where it disappears to  ?

We have used peracetic acid as a sanitizer for organic processing.  No rinse required.

General FYI...any sanitizer you look to use work with your chemical supplier and make sure they understand you are organic certified and wish to use a sanitizer which does not require a fresh water rinse.  Not all peracetic acid sanitizers are created equal.

For example, Vortexx peracetic acid based sanitizer from Ecolab is not organic compliant due to other components.  However, their Synergex peracetic acid based sanitizer is organic compliant.

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
Coliforms in Spray Dry Product Coliforms limits for environmental swabbing Reducing Coliforms in the organic sprouts How do you reduce or eliminate coliforms in packaged baked goods at a cookies and crackers manufacturing company? Decision if micro standards not met for indicator bacteria like ACC and coliforms Brie Enterobacteriaceae and Coliforms Thermotolerant coliforms stated as total coliforms. Significant error? Acceptable level of total coliforms for ready-to-eat grains? What agar mediums do I need to test air for coliforms and SPC? High coliforms in ready to re-heat products