What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

If we incorrectly declare All Natural on a label, must we conduct a recall?

Started by , Jul 12 2021 04:48 PM
5 Replies

Hello, would anyone know the ramifications of this scenario? It appears that we labeled product as All Natural, upon review of the pepperoni, we discovered that the pepperoni is Not All Natural. Is this a recall? Thank you

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Quaker Recall Question about a Misleading label BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? Trader Joe’s dumplings recall due to possible contamination with hard plastic from a permanent marker How to conduct sampling for Listeria Monocytogenes?
[Ad]

I would recall it.   It's mislabeled product. If you get busted, it'll suck.  However, what's unnatural about it?   The word Natural on foods is pretty vague.  

I also wouldn't make ANY claims on my packaging in the future.   I never do this, ever, even if a customer begs me to.  If I did, I'd be positive it was safe to do so.

1 Like

So, there's only a couple foods that are regulated as "natural".  Colors and flavors, and something other food I can't remember right now.  Everything else is all gray area.  I would consults with upper management and legal as it isn't technically a "recall" issue, it is a how likely is your company going to be sued for using "All Natural" on the label when an ingredient is not necessarily all natural.

It comes down to the stomach the company has for this and how much they are willing to pay to fight a legal battle.

1 Like

There's undeclared nitrites/nitrates as they accepted and used an out of spec ingredient + the all natural labelling claim

So, there's only a couple foods that are regulated as "natural".  Colors and flavors, and something other food I can't remember right now.  Everything else is all gray area.  I would consults with upper management and legal as it isn't technically a "recall" issue, it is a how likely is your company going to be sued for using "All Natural" on the label when an ingredient is not necessarily all natural.

It comes down to the stomach the company has for this and how much they are willing to pay to fight a legal battle.

Possibly, that hasn't been stated.

There's undeclared nitrites/nitrates as they accepted and used an out of spec ingredient + the all natural labelling claim

I think you would be in bigger trouble for not declaring nitrites/nitrates. On that basis I would recommend recalling the product so you do not get into legal trouble for not declaring all ingredients.

Similar Discussion Topics
Quaker Recall Question about a Misleading label BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? Trader Joe’s dumplings recall due to possible contamination with hard plastic from a permanent marker How to conduct sampling for Listeria Monocytogenes? SQF 9 - Label Reconciliation Label Reconciliation problem SQF edition 9 Allergen Label Checks In House Label Disfigurement Procedure SQF 2.6.1.2 Product changeover and label reconciliation records