What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Rodent traps during FDA inspection

Started by , Aug 06 2021 12:48 PM
5 Replies

Hi all!! can someone please help me here. We just found out that we have a mouse in our shipping and receiving warehouse  :(  we called our Pest Prevention company they came an placed mouse traps and glue boards, and today we just found out that the FDA is coming in to do a site inspection. Is it ok to have the mouse traps and glue boards out? My thinking is that we just found out about the mouse and we took action right away to take care of the issue, we contacted our approved Pest Prevention company they placed the traps, so we did everything "by the book" but I'm not sure if having the traps out so the FDA can see them is bad or not having is worse.... help!!  :shutup:

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
FSSC 22000 audit nonconformance for rodent activity internal nonconformance not being completed SQF Guidance V8.1 Section 11.2.7 - rodent Glue boards used in processing areas BRC 4.14 Pest Management: Is it possibile in production areas to use non-toxic rodent baits? Rodent infestation not being taken seriously Validate/Verify Rodent Control Systems?
[Ad]

Good morning Winterfell. Most food facilities avoid:

• snapping mouse traps
    • Can get mouse guts around the trap, which can then be tracked if someone walks near
  • Glue boards
    • I've been told it's considered inhumane, although I haven't researched much into it

What is typically used, are the 'Little Pete' style repeating cage mouse traps (you can do a google search, however your PCO should be able to provide these).

If you ARE using the repeating cage mouse traps, you will want to update your pest control policy to show you've added them.

But I digress; to address your original question. the FDA should not be shocked to see the little Pete style traps inside the facility, as they are in the majority of food facilities I've been in.

You should have non-lethal traps in the facility and baited traps outside.

I would remove the free standing glue-boards as they are seen as inhumane.

I third the discussion

Tincat live traps inside, bait stations outside

in Canada, you CANNOT use glue boards or snap traps in food processing facilities

1 Like

Document everything you are doing including frequent inspections for mouse activity around the facility and the FDA shouldn't have an issue with this. This kind of stuff happens and they want to see that you are handling it appropriately. 

Hi all!! can someone please help me here. We just found out that we have a mouse in our shipping and receiving warehouse  :(  we called our Pest Prevention company they came an placed mouse traps and glue boards, and today we just found out that the FDA is coming in to do a site inspection. Is it ok to have the mouse traps and glue boards out? My thinking is that we just found out about the mouse and we took action right away to take care of the issue, we contacted our approved Pest Prevention company they placed the traps, so we did everything "by the book" but I'm not sure if having the traps out so the FDA can see them is bad or not having is worse.... help!!  :shutup:

I'm surprised you don't have them set up already. Like TimG mentioned - very common for facilities (even very small FDA plants) to have the live bait traps. Just make sure they are documented. All traps need to be documented (outside ones too).

Similar Discussion Topics
FSSC 22000 audit nonconformance for rodent activity internal nonconformance not being completed SQF Guidance V8.1 Section 11.2.7 - rodent Glue boards used in processing areas BRC 4.14 Pest Management: Is it possibile in production areas to use non-toxic rodent baits? Rodent infestation not being taken seriously Validate/Verify Rodent Control Systems? Protecting Exterior Rodent Bait Stations What is a safe and hygienic method for dead rodent disposal? Ultrasonic Rodent Repellers Tesco Fined Over Rodent Infestation