What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Addition of preservatives in shredded cheese

Started by , Aug 17 2021 09:55 AM
4 Replies

Anyone knows how is the addition of preservatives in shredded cheese? Currently we are using natural fresh block cheese to grate it into shredded cheese. However, the shredded cheese is easily become moldy after 2 months storing in chilled condition. Therefore, we are exploring to introduce preservatives like sorbic acid into the shredded cheese without melting the block cheese and process into processed cheese. I have read that actually the preservatives can be added to the anticaking agent such as MCC or starch and mix with the shredded cheese. Is this the right way to do it? Anyone from the cheese industry can advice on this? Thank you.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
FSVP - what is needed in addition to HARPC supply-chain program? New Bakery Product Addition Building, warehouse addition, are we required to let the MI Dept of AG know about it? Citric Acid and Lemon Addition to Vegetable Juice When reviewing records do I need to add the time in addition to signature and date?
[Ad]

Hi,

I would say that two months is a rather normal shelf life for shredded cheeses.

If you still want ot improve shelf life I would think your biggest improvement can be made with your packaging.

What kind of MAP are you currently using? Is changing to vacuum packaging an option?

I have never seen a cheese with sorbic acids added during slicing.
Starch is usually added to prevent clumping and not so much te prevent moulds.

Hi Marloes, 

Thank you for your reply. Currently we are using MAP mix of carbon dioxide and nitrogen. Vacuum pack is impossible as the shredded cheese will clump together due to pressure.

Yes blending with your anti-caking mix that you apply to the shredded cheese would be best.  What about natamycin?  This has good results in dairy products.

When I was in a cheese house, cellulose powder for clumping, and nothing else, and yes, about 2 months is all you're likely to get

Similar Discussion Topics
FSVP - what is needed in addition to HARPC supply-chain program? New Bakery Product Addition Building, warehouse addition, are we required to let the MI Dept of AG know about it? Citric Acid and Lemon Addition to Vegetable Juice When reviewing records do I need to add the time in addition to signature and date? Vinegar Addition as a CCP? Is addition of food grade CO2 or Nitrogen classed as compressed air Another new addition to the forum