What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Alcohol Sanitiser VS Alcohol Free?

Started by , Sep 09 2021 02:44 PM
11 Replies

Hi all, 

Can alcohol sanitiser be used in production areas?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Alcohol Beverage No HACCP Do we have to state alcohol in our label or if it's <1,2% we don't have to declare it? TTB Alcohol Tax Refund Alcohol Based Cleaning Solution for Food Contact Surface What is the acceptable alcohol content of hand sanitizer used in the facility?
[Ad]

Depending on the purposes you use it for: hand sanitizing, surface, etc?

Depending on the purposes you use it for: hand sanitizing, surface, etc?

hand sanitising - there is multiple 500ml bottles around site. (including in production areas) 

I think it's safe - as soon as your workers don't spray it over the products to avoid contamination.

I don't understand hand sanitizer. Don't most standards specify that you have to wash your hands before using sanitizer otherwise it's useless? I mean I disagree with that but sanitizer on the floor certainly doesn't satisfy any regulation or standard clause I've heard of.

I don't understand hand sanitizer. Don't most standards specify that you have to wash your hands before using sanitizer otherwise it's useless? I mean I disagree with that but sanitizer on the floor certainly doesn't satisfy any regulation or standard clause I've heard of.

Hi john.

The FDA Food Code agrees with you for initial hand cleaning although other opinions do exist eg - 

https://www.extensio...ood-handlers-do

https://www.initial....hand-sanitiser/

https://extension.um...not-replacement

handwashfs.pdf   165KB   11 downloads

Personally have never encountered alcohol dispensers in food production areas.

Hi, the Q isn't regarding whether alcohol sanitiser satisfies a clause or is effective in replacing hand washing, it is regarding the safety of the product around food. There is a standard hand washing procedure in place and I have no concerns over this, I am concerned that alcohol sanitiser is not safe to be around food. 

Hi, the Q isn't regarding whether alcohol sanitiser satisfies a clause or is effective in replacing hand washing, it is regarding the safety of the product around food. There is a standard hand washing procedure in place and I have no concerns over this, I am concerned that alcohol sanitiser is not safe to be around food. 

Hi FSA,

There are actually a variety of chemical mixes potentially involved.

The popular blue version would certainly seem a little questionable from a safety POV. Methyl alcohol is also toxic IIRC.

If they are gloved hands, that Diversey's SU393 can be used safely around food. It can also be used to sanitize hand tools throughout the production day.

The risk of alcohol hand sanitizer is going to be exceedingly low (as an over spray or from direct hand to product contact) The reason alcohol sanitizer is so popular is it's ability to dry quickly

I'd curious to know why it's everywhere around the plant---is this a covid related reason?

Hi FSA,

One direct (US) answer to yr (safety) hand sanitizer query is provided by the NSF Rating, eg -

https://nelsonjameso...e/hand-hygiene/

NSF rated handwashing-hand sanitizing products.pdf   547.5KB   9 downloads

Alcohol based sanitisers can be used in production areas. They shall be in dispensers so that only few drops are used at a time.

Non-alcohol based sanitisers like chlorine water are used way back. But chlorine levels keeps dipping in solution over the time. 

If Halal audit / certification is there, auditors may object for alcohol sanitiser usage in processing halls.   

1 Thank

Alcohol based sanitisers can be used in production areas. They shall be in dispensers so that only few drops are used at a time.

Non-alcohol based sanitisers like chlorine water are used way back. But chlorine levels keeps dipping in solution over the time. 

If Halal audit / certification is there, auditors may object for alcohol sanitiser usage in processing halls.   

I second this for the halal side. We had an inspector request that we update all our sanitation procedures to include in specific evaporation allowances to ensure there were no chances of contamination.

Similar Discussion Topics
Alcohol Beverage No HACCP Do we have to state alcohol in our label or if it's <1,2% we don't have to declare it? TTB Alcohol Tax Refund Alcohol Based Cleaning Solution for Food Contact Surface What is the acceptable alcohol content of hand sanitizer used in the facility? Winery - Alcohol Manufacturers - Are you out there? Safety with sugar syrups and alcohol. Using Alcohol in Bottled Sauces Why is alcohol hand sanitizer not approved for organic products? Can alcohol based hand sanitiser eliminate bacteria, viruses and fungi, including coronavirus/COVID-19 ?