• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:18 PM

Hello, 

We are SQF certified facility.  We are currently using a cleaining and sanitizing agent called Sani-T.  It was sugguested by one of our machine suppliers that we do not use this on a piece of equipment and that we rather use an alcohol based cleaning agent.  Is there anything per the FDA or SQF saying that we cannot do this for food contact surfaces?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 December 2021 - 08:30 PM

No

BUT, you should be using what the manufacturer (not the distributor) recommends

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 December 2021 - 11:45 PM

Hello, 

We are SQF certified facility.  We are currently using a cleaining and sanitizing agent called Sani-T.  It was sugguested by one of our machine suppliers that we do not use this on a piece of equipment and that we rather use an alcohol based cleaning agent.  Is there anything per the FDA or SQF saying that we cannot do this for food contact surfaces?

Was there a reason for the suggestion ? eg area sensitive to water.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sarahb3339

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 December 2021 - 03:35 PM

Our product is very corrosive on the machinery.  Causes rust easily.  

Sarahb3339

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 December 2021 - 06:04 PM

The company is suggesting we use an acohol and water mix for a cleaning solution.  However, I found the below information and I wanted to ensure that I was properly understanding it.  Alcohol based cleaniers require an "intervening step".  Does this mean after we use it for cleaning and sanitizing that we need to rinse it off with water? Also, if we use alcohol /water , is there a ratio that is required by fda for sanitation?

Approved Sanitizers

• Chlorine Materials
  • Hydrogen Peroxide
  • Ozone
  • Peracetic acid/peroxyacetic acid
  • Phosphoric acid
  • Potassium hydroxide
  • Sodium hydroxide

Approved Sanitizers (Requires intervening step to ensure zero contamination

• Isopropyl alcohol
  • Acetic acid
  • Ethyl alcohol
  • Citric products/limonene
  • Potassium permanganate
  • Sulfuric acid
  • Vinegar
  • Quaternary ammonia

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 853 posts
  • 291 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:12 PM

will ecolab dry sanduo or a product like Alpet D2 work?     I use alpet in dry operations currently.    I know others that use Drysan Duo and like it.       

Be prepared for the sticker shock...….    

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Sarahb3339

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:49 PM

Wow, that is expensive!  So apparently because there is a product out there that is an alcohol based sanitizer it should be ok per the FDA and SQF?  I was finding that for food contact cleaning that it was required to only use the following:

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 853 posts
  • 291 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:41 PM

Wow, that is expensive!  So apparently because there is a product out there that is an alcohol based sanitizer it should be ok per the FDA and SQF?  I was finding that for food contact cleaning that it was required to only use the following:

Yes both of these products are approved for food use.   there may be others that make a similar product.    The manufacture/distributer  should be able to supply you with any needed documentation stating its suitability / approval.    You will have no issues with anyone accepting them.   they are used all the time on dry equipment / processes where the addition of water is "bad".   

alcohol is listed in your post above as needing a needing a intervening step.   I believe they will stating that the first application is a cleaner and the second application is a sanitizer.   you would not rinse them off.  as I stated they are used in areas where water is highly undesireable.  I would review the label(s) for detailed instructions.   

I have seen people make there own by diluting like you stated earlier.   I would not suggest that.   You could run into issues with proving concentration and legislative approval.  

they may not be the best solution (cost and safety).    with out pretty detailed knowledge of your product and equipment its hard to recommend.   I find it bizarre that san-t (a quat I believe) is not compatable with the food equipment.    Something doesn't smell quite right.   alcohol is usually used to avoid water, not because the equipment cant handle any other cleaning options.   

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Sarahb3339

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:46 PM

Our main ingredient that we run is highly corrosive once mixed with water, and it was adised that a chlorine based sanitizer was causing our equipment to corrode and rust quicker.  So they advised on using an alcohol based cleaner OR  sanitizer.  Basically , they said that other customers just mixed alcohol and water and was using this.  I am very technical about cleaning and sanitizing and Im used to only using products that come with an sds and say " food contact".  This idea seems like it would not hold up in audits.  

beautiophile

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 14 December 2021 - 03:13 AM

That sounds like pitting corrosion, which is a serious concern in marine industries.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 December 2021 - 02:18 PM

One solution might simply be to ask EcoLab for help if you cannot ask the machine supplier. It's their business.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sarahb3339

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 December 2021 - 04:22 PM

The machine supplier is saying use alcohol and water.  There has got to be limits on that though Id think.  What ratio? etc.  I thought we were only supposed to use materials with SDS's. Making our own solution sounds to...easy almost. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,666 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 14 December 2021 - 04:39 PM

Manufacturer or rep should supply a cleaning sop.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 853 posts
  • 291 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 December 2021 - 05:55 PM

The machine supplier is saying use alcohol and water.  There has got to be limits on that though Id think.  What ratio? etc.  I thought we were only supposed to use materials with SDS's. Making our own solution sounds to...easy almost. 

I would ask they exactly what are you suppose to use.    

The problem with mixing alcohol on your own is not the SDS (you would have that for the alcohol).   The bulk alcohol supplier would not have their product certified or approved by someone as a food contact cleaner / sanitizer.   They would also not provide a label / mix instructions.   it would also be difficult to verify concentration.  

Alpet (and others)  are not expensive because they use special IPA.   Its expensive because they have taken time to get their product EPA, NSF approved for use in food plants (and elsewhere) and they have taken care of the dilution for you.    (and alcohol is more expensive than quats, NaClO, etc)

11.2.5.2 Detergents and sanitizers shall be suitable for use in a food manufacturing environment, labeled according to regulatory requirements, and purchased in accordance with applicable legislation. The organization shall ensure: i. The site maintains a list of chemicals approved for use; ii. An inventory of all purchased and used chemicals is maintained; iii. Detergents and sanitizers are stored as outlined in element 11.6.4; iv. Safety Data Sheets (SDS) are provided for all detergents and sanitizers purchased; and v. Only trained staff handle sanitizers and detergents. 11.2.5.3 Detergents and sanitizers that have been mixed for use shall be correctly mixed according to the manufacturers’ instructions, stored in containers that are suitable for use, and clearly identified. Mix concentrations shall be verified and records maintained.

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users