What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

FDA tolerance on serving size supplement capsules weight

Started by , Oct 14 2021 09:55 PM
2 Replies

Hello,

I am trying to find information on serving size in supplement capsules .  Does the FDA have an amount or percent that the serving size can be "off" from what the label claims?  For example if serving size is 3 caps at 1200 mg and it actually turns out to be 1000 mg when weighed what is the allowance?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
New Amazon Dietary Supplement Testing Policy Do I need Net weight and PDP on gift box? Net Weight Requirements for Combination Gift Packaging MAP Packing residual levels size variance How to determine tolerance
[Ad]

are you concerned about weight or potency?   

being 200 mg out seems excessive to me, and that difference would be large enough so that your label claims are now not accurate

https://www.fda.gov/...ary-supplements

Are dietary supplement serving sizes standardized or are there restrictions on the amount of a nutrient that can be in one serving?

Other than the manufacturer's responsibility to ensure safety, there are no rules that limit a serving size or the amount of a nutrient in any form of dietary supplements. This decision is made by the manufacturer and does not require FDA review or approval.

What is FDA's oversight responsibility for dietary supplements?

Because dietary supplements are under the "umbrella" of foods, FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN) is responsible for the agency's oversight of these products. FDA's efforts to monitor the marketplace for potential illegal products (that is, products that may be unsafe or make false or misleading claims) include obtaining information from inspections of dietary supplement manufacturers and distributors, the Internet, consumer and trade complaints, occasional laboratory analyses of selected products, and adverse events associated with the use of supplements that are reported to the agency.

Does FDA routinely analyze the content of dietary supplements?

In that FDA has limited resources to analyze the composition of food products, including dietary supplements, it focuses these resources first on public health emergencies and products that may have caused injury or illness. Enforcement priorities then go to products thought to be unsafe or fraudulent or in violation of the law. The remaining funds are used for routine monitoring of products pulled from store shelves or collected during inspections of manufacturing firms. The agency does not analyze dietary supplements before they are sold to consumers. The manufacturer is responsible for ensuring that the "Supplement Facts" label and ingredient list are accurate, that the dietary ingredients are safe, and that the content matches the amount declared on the label. FDA does not have resources to analyze dietary supplements sent to the agency by consumers who want to know their content. Instead, consumers may contact the manufacturer or a commercial laboratory for an analysis of the content.

1 Like

I am wondering if there is any clearance or percent off that the serving size can be per FDA.  I am concerned about weight.  The only daily value on the label is vitamin C.  All other ingredients are herbals.  If there isn't I suppose I am looking at reworking all these capsules dumping them out one by one. 

Similar Discussion Topics
New Amazon Dietary Supplement Testing Policy Do I need Net weight and PDP on gift box? Net Weight Requirements for Combination Gift Packaging MAP Packing residual levels size variance How to determine tolerance Minimum weight checks before packaging Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment How crucial is having a verifier in dietary supplement production? How many samples need to be taken for minimum weight records? Net Weight conversion ounces and grams