What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Hold and release procedures for product testing

Started by , Nov 03 2021 04:01 PM
6 Replies

We make tortillas (RTE low risk) at our facility and currently don't hold the product after we send it for testing in the lab  (We do not have an in-house lab). Our program says, we will recall the product if there are any positive results. This is not okay with a lot of auditors. We are a small facility and do not have space to hold the products that we send out for testing. Is there any alternative that anyone else follows for product testing?

1 Like
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Is there any method available for Cold filled and Hold process parameters Is it possible to Hot Fill Hold with No Inversion? Will a VCM bring my acidified product to required temp for hot-fill-hold processing? Best Certificates to hold as a Quality Assurance or Control Professional Do we have to hold all our documents for 5 years based on FSMA regulation?
[Ad]

Do you test each and every batch?

Why?

Do you test each and every batch?

Why?

No. We test once a month

My Spidey senses are tingling.....

Im not sure what standard / definition you are using for "hold/ release".   

a typical hold / release or positive release would require each batch is tested and "held" for results.  you are  not doing either.  

I would remove any mention of micro or the associated recall from your procedure.  are you required to have a micro hold / release by "someone"?

what makes a product acceptable to ship?   how do you ensure the product is acceptable  prior to shipping?  that is what your procedure should cover.  

We make tortillas (RTE low risk) at our facility and currently don't hold the product after we send it for testing in the lab  (We do not have an in-house lab). Our program says, we will recall the product if there are any positive results. This is not okay with a lot of auditors. We are a small facility and do not have space to hold the products that we send out for testing. Is there any alternative that anyone else follows for product testing?

RTE IMEX is typically high risk.

I'm surprised any SQF auditor would interpret the above as "hold and release".

Not familiar with process of tortilla making but what would be your CCP?  My product is low risk but our "product release policy" is "hold be exception" meaning if the CCP is maintained throughout the process and documented we only retain product that CCP was not met for further testing.  

Similar Discussion Topics
Is there any method available for Cold filled and Hold process parameters Is it possible to Hot Fill Hold with No Inversion? Will a VCM bring my acidified product to required temp for hot-fill-hold processing? Best Certificates to hold as a Quality Assurance or Control Professional Do we have to hold all our documents for 5 years based on FSMA regulation? Hot Fill Hold Temperature Hot Fill and Hold Temperatures - Question Hot Fill Hold Process SOP for Acidified Foods Company to make customized hold tags F value calculation for hot fill and hold process sauces