What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Mould growth above whole beef carcasses

Started by , Dec 09 2021 01:02 AM
2 Replies

Hello! 

So I went out into the plant today for my pre-assessment for our BRC audit, and found two things:

1) there are wooden beams in the plant that the rails are mounted to.  Other than point 2, I didn't see anything significant, but there are no documented inspections.  Is that going to be an issue?  And the kicker:

2) the beams in the cooler appear to have mould growing on them.  These beams hang above whole beef carcasses.  Is this something that will be a critical (I'm guessing at least a major)?  The plant will already likely have several minors due to paperwork and I am concerned we won't pass.  

Thank you again so much!  

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
How to state Air / Yeast & Mould count ? Yeast and Mould Monitoring Control measures for preventing mould in jam Yeast and Mould Testing and Limit Requirements Is Yeast and Mould good enough for Ambient Air Testing?
[Ad]

You cannot have exposed wood. Period

All surfaces need to be durable and cleanable, and wood is neither of those things

Have the wood clad in puck board or similar (https://www.professi...ickPlateCapRail)

And yes, mold right over the carcasses may result in a major

Beef can be a challenge as the carcasses need to hang, but they release an incredible amount of moisture

Yes, there needs to be an interior inspection AND all areas need to be on a sanitation schedule

1 Thank

Appreciate the response.   This plant is actually the re-certification.  

In three weeks.  

I have NO idea how this plant received certification.  I have found things in the report last year that don't apply to this plant (i.e. a vending machine was mentioned, and third party waste removal).  

I've heard not great things about the auditors that were here (only here half days, were friends with the previous manager, etc. - I can't validate any of those as it's third hand information, but it does look like these two auditors were not very diligent).  

Similar Discussion Topics
How to state Air / Yeast & Mould count ? Yeast and Mould Monitoring Control measures for preventing mould in jam Yeast and Mould Testing and Limit Requirements Is Yeast and Mould good enough for Ambient Air Testing? Mould testing Mould Identification following out of spec test result Can copper metal be used as mould in cake preparation? Yeast and Mould in Fresh Produce Is a high Yeast and Mould Count a quality or food safety issue?