What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Any Ideas on Tilapia Discoloration?

Started by , Feb 10 2022 04:43 PM
3 Replies

I wanted to put this issue out to the collective, has anybody experienced this? The fish is fresh tilapia, packed in formed trays and then top-sealed with a 10k oxygen-permeable film. Product is then blast-frozen and placed in frozen storage. This product was produced in July, discoloration was just noticed last week. Fresh tilapia is a normally creamy-white to pinkish translucent, with no color change through conventional freezing techniques. Has anyone seen this before? I did some redaction on trademarks

Attached Files

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Discoloration and browning in raw ground beef products Ideas on training on the importance of completing pre-op each day before production begins? Ideas on how to clean in a warehouse freezer? Desperate for ideas to get employees on board with food safety culture Recurring complaints for mouldy, discoloration packs in pepperoni packed in modified atmosphere
[Ad]

That looks like dehydration to me

Have you changed films, or is this process/film new to you

When meat of any kind, is exposed to high velocity air at low temperature, you will get dehydration

1 Like

Agreed, thanks Scampi

Not easy to see but IMEX freezing plastic wrapped fish,  plastic quality and/or storage conditions 2 typical suspects.

Can try examine after Production / 1 week etc.

Similar Discussion Topics
Discoloration and browning in raw ground beef products Ideas on training on the importance of completing pre-op each day before production begins? Ideas on how to clean in a warehouse freezer? Desperate for ideas to get employees on board with food safety culture Recurring complaints for mouldy, discoloration packs in pepperoni packed in modified atmosphere Looking for Ideas or a Structured Approach to Implementing a QMS from Scratch Ideas to mark World Food Safety Day? SQF FSC2 2.4.2 Module 18 - GAP SOP Template or ideas for Indoor Agricultural Ideas for activities for a Food Safety Day Ideas for controlling Allergen Dust