Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 April 2023 - 01:50 PM

I am finding it extremely difficult to get my employees on board with food safety culture. No one looks at my communication board. I recently put up a contest and no one has bit. We have trainings and I walk around and talk with people as much as I can with a language barrier (I'd say 90% are Spanish speaking and I know very little although I am avidly trying to learn). I just can't seem to get anyone on board with anything. They want to do their jobs their way and that's that. What are some ways you engage your employees with food safety culture? Bonus points if you too have a language barrier. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 April 2023 - 02:05 PM

Our afternoon shift is 90% ESL so I hear ya

Are your postings in Spanish?  The more of that you can do, the more engaged they will be

How is the company culture???

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Kara S.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 177 posts
  • 51 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 April 2023 - 02:25 PM

I actually visited a company that had a training room and offered ESL classes and other language classes to help employees and management effectively speak with one another. 

I think you have a good foundation already. The language barrier can be difficult. I'm not sure what you have on your board but I posted recently what had worked for me when I was working in the past as plant QA. Full post here https://www.ifsqn.co...uality-culture/

If you have issues with management, relate everything to money. Dont focus on just the number of holds but the cost of those holds. Look at everything you try to implement from a ROI point of view. QA statistics have a deeper impact than just comparing totals. If you show how your programs will save money and have an ROI typical <5 years you are more likely going to get the response you want. 

Kind regards, 

Kara

Food & Beverage Industry Consultant

IFSQN Business ListingLinkedIn  |  Webpage

airwreckarae

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 April 2023 - 02:32 PM

Everything I post or communicate is in Spanish and in English. I even put the Spanish first. Any kind of discussions I need to have I use a human translator. Its only been a few months. I suppose I shouldn't be so gung-ho about everyone jumping on board. I have a BRC audit any day and this sort of ambiguous thing is hanging over me like I'm not doing enough. I want the audit to go well obviously but I also want to really start off on a good foot too so while its on my mind I thought I'd throw it out here.

As for the company culture they're a relatively new company within the last few years and I think the focus is mostly on production and sales. At least that's my impression. I can barely get invited to a meeting.  :shutup:

They didn't move me from Pennsylvania to Illinois for no reason, I just need to figure out the best way to speak to them. 

airwreckarae

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 April 2023 - 02:37 PM

I actually visited a company that had a training room and offered ESL classes and other language classes to help employees and management effectively speak with one another. 

I think you have a good foundation already. The language barrier can be difficult. I'm not sure what you have on your board but I posted recently what had worked for me when I was working in the past as plant QA. Full post here https://www.ifsqn.co...uality-culture/

If you have issues with management, relate everything to money. Dont focus on just the number of holds but the cost of those holds. Look at everything you try to implement from a ROI point of view. QA statistics have a deeper impact than just comparing totals. If you show how your programs will save money and have an ROI typical <5 years you are more likely going to get the response you want. 

Great suggestions. I know the money talks to them!

On my board I have complaints listed, a guess what the foreign material is game (for a prize!), reminders, announcements and safety like injuries and days without incident (I wear a couple hats for the price of one!). It is colorful. Something I would take notice of. I look forward to seeing the post you shared. thank you

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 18 April 2023 - 02:40 PM

It will take some time.  Everyone is always wary of the Quality/Food Safety person at first.  Give them time.  Actively engaging with them and listening to them will help them start to trust you and then listen.  Also, sometimes getting the first audit under your belt helps.  It shows them you do know what you are doing.  Make sure to reward everyone after the audit with like a lunch or something.  As it takes everyone to be successfully audited, everyone should be rewarded and that will help them to see your appreciation.

airwreckarae

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 April 2023 - 02:50 PM

It will take some time.  Everyone is always wary of the Quality/Food Safety person at first.  Give them time.  Actively engaging with them and listening to them will help them start to trust you and then listen.  Also, sometimes getting the first audit under your belt helps.  It shows them you do know what you are doing.  Make sure to reward everyone after the audit with like a lunch or something.  As it takes everyone to be successfully audited, everyone should be rewarded and that will help them to see your appreciation.

I appreciate the advice! I certainly want to reward the positives. An employee who feels valued will go above and beyond. At least I've found this to be true for myself and like that approach in my management style. 

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 363 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 18 April 2023 - 04:23 PM

Yes, these things take time. For your audit, if you can at least show the training materials that you've posted and that you've been regular about it I think the auditor will understand your situation. To me the key here is to be consistent in your messaging to the teams. My experience with teams like this is that sometimes staff get into the mindset that management goes through little "phases" where if they just smile and nod at meetings they'll feign compliance but nothing actually changes. Their belief is that management will move to focus on something else in a month so why change how they're doing their job now? "Hopefully management will shift focus to something that doesn't involve my job so I can just go back to doing what I've always done!" Instead, if you continually focus on this initiative for many months, it will become clear that you're committed and serious about it. It's tedious, but unfortunately one of the only ways I've been able to make this work...

CaliforniaFS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 127 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 April 2023 - 05:21 PM

Sounds like it can become a company GOAL. Broken down by departments. For example shipping/production... etc. If the departments are faced with a KPI that includes Food Safety (training, corrective actions...) that then will affect their annual goals/bonuses then I would imagine the culture would change real quick. The department leads will be more supportive in ensuring their support staff is meeting the company food safety policies and standard operating procedures.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 18 April 2023 - 05:33 PM

I am finding it extremely difficult to get my employees on board with food safety culture. No one looks at my communication board. I recently put up a contest and no one has bit. We have trainings and I walk around and talk with people as much as I can with a language barrier (I'd say 90% are Spanish speaking and I know very little although I am avidly trying to learn). I just can't seem to get anyone on board with anything. They want to do their jobs their way and that's that. What are some ways you engage your employees with food safety culture? Bonus points if you too have a language barrier. 

I work at a facility where we have a lot of ESL. I've also worked at a facility that everyone spoke English. The food safety culture is way better at my current job. A language barrier isn't your main issue. It comes down to management buy in. Their boss isn't requiring them to change their ways so they won't.

One idea - give employees perspective. Would they let their child/older relative (people most likely to get sick from a food borne illness) eat what they produce knowing how they are making it. Or if they were at home cooking - would they do these same practices.

How you get management buy-in. Their wallet. Food recalls cost a lot of money and reputation. Plus you'll probably get more visits from the FDA once you've had a problem. Being proactive is cheaper than being reactive.

Thanked by 1 Member:

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 April 2023 - 08:00 PM

When you say "you can't get anyone on board," are you referring to the line employees or members of management?  I've had a hard time getting line employees on-board with quality programs:  as you mention, they're there to do their job their way, and I've been blown off countless times when they use the excuse, "You're not my boss" or "I'll do what my supervisor tells me to do."

If you aren't already working on it, I'd approach the supervisors and managers of each department first.  Set meetings with each of the departments, and have a list of items you'd like to implement.  If it's communications you'd like to have employees review, give the supervisors handouts or a poster to review with their crews at the beginning of every shift.  Bring managers in to review the audit findings that affect their department, let them look for solutions they think are attainable.  If you do need to push an improvement they're not receptive to, try and rework the idea so it attains your goal and hopefully earns them some efficiency or cost savings at the same time.

I might also suggest rewards that aren't based in direct participation.  The contest is a great idea, but if they're not willing to play the game, find a KPI in each department they can focus on improving.  First department or group that achieves a goal gets a catered lunch or a handful of gift cards.  Once other employees see rewards given for merely doing their job better, it can have a competitive effect with others.

Totes716

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 April 2023 - 09:19 PM

Food safety culture is hard to teach in a place that has a workplace culture resistant to it.  Everyone can learn it, but the majority of the new skills you're going to try and teach must come from the supervisors and leadmen. Basically, if you aren't able to exert pressure on people to do things the correct way, then you're sunk. 

Most production workers I've dealt with do not care about anything an error that will actually get them into actual trouble.  For example, if you want employees to wear gloves, then make it very clear on their leadman that their job requires them to ensure all their employees wear gloves and there will be a punishment if that does not occur.  It is their job to do the rest.

If you see a clean failing make the individual responsible for supervising the clean does it again themselves, after pointing out specific failures, and make sure their management knows that the reason a line couldn't run is because it failed a check due to a failed clean.          

Sayed M Naim Khalid

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2023 - 11:15 AM

Here are some recommendations: 

1. Replace yourself with a Spanish speaking persons (90% is a high number) - Sorry, I don't want to be rude to you. But 90% speak that language, either hire a translator, learn the language or leave. Your presence as a food safety professional in that environment might not be effective. 

2. Find a champion from within the people you want to impact (someone outspoken and influential and accepted by almost everyone)

3. Have few messages communicated via different channels (print, spoken, visuals, intercom, company social media)

4. Have leadership's voice for culture or any change you want. Without having leaders on board, change is challenging. 

wbourg

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 April 2023 - 04:52 PM

Culture change is hard. We are about 70% Spanish speaking in our bakery side. I have found success in daily one point lessons and using Alchemy as a training program. Alchemy took a bit of convincing to purchase but is worth having Spanish only classroom training. We also reward people for doing the right thing with a $25 gift card. This took some time to work, but once people caught on things started to improve. 

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 130 posts
  • 44 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 19 April 2023 - 09:28 PM

1. Replace yourself with a Spanish speaking persons (90% is a high number) - Sorry, I don't want to be rude to you. But 90% speak that language, either hire a translator, learn the language or leave. Your presence as a food safety professional in that environment might not be effective. 

2. Find a champion from within the people you want to impact (someone outspoken and influential and accepted by almost everyone)

3. Have few messages communicated via different channels (print, spoken, visuals, intercom, company social media)

4. Have leadership's voice for culture or any change you want. Without having leaders on board, change is challenging. 

I have to say I don't think suggesting OP leaves their job is appropriate.

Would it be fair to say the opposite? Should the company should hire only English speakers? Absolutely not.

We live in the 21st century, and a variety of translator apps are available for free.

A more reasonable option would be to make all training and announcements bilingual.

Then use the translating app for day-to-day conversations. It may be awkward, but language barriers can be overcome.

The United States is a melting pot of many different cultures and languages. 

IMEX, employees appreciate the effort to understand and learn from each other. Regardless of what language it is done with.

Thanked by 1 Member:

airwreckarae

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2023 - 11:55 AM

I have been avidly trying to learn the language. Its even inspired my team to learn English and we are helping each other. I'm the only manager that has cared to do so. They rely on a few supervisors that are bilingual to communicate for them. I can't replace myself as I don't have anywhere else to go at this moment. I moved states away to be here because this growing company decided to take a chance on developing my 2 years of experience which was mostly background paperwork to being front line hands on managing my own department. The opportunity is wonderful. I want to succeed. 

Also have been trying to work on finding the right person to impact change and working on management shifting their focus from largely numbers to a happier middle ground between numbers and safety. I have some ideas in the works to get them there. 

Thank you for your input

airwreckarae

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2023 - 12:03 PM

I have to say I don't think suggesting OP leaves their job is appropriate.

Would it be fair to say the opposite? Should the company should hire only English speakers? Absolutely not.

We live in the 21st century, and a variety of translator apps are available for free.

A more reasonable option would be to make all training and announcements bilingual.

Then use the translating app for day-to-day conversations. It may be awkward, but language barriers can be overcome.

The United States is a melting pot of many different cultures and languages. 

IMEX, employees appreciate the effort to understand and learn from each other. Regardless of what language it is done with.

Thank you so much for this! I mentioned above in reply to them I am working on learning the language and inspired my little team of 4 to learn English. We've been helping each other and its making things a little easier. Google translate app is our best friend in the meantime! All of my documentation is available in both languages I try to have someone bilingual proof read because a training I did when I first started a few months ago told them that in case of fire they should take drugs and jump out of the window! Everyone got a really good laugh about it. Maybe I shouldn't try to translate whole powerpoints at a time. lol I had my lead QC tech walk the plant yesterday and double check my signage is all bilingual as well. She found a bit I missed and that will be her project today while there is no production. 

Really, I thank you for your kind words! Company took a chance on me and I want to be what they see in me. I do know I have to reign in my enthusiasm a little bit and realize these things take time.  

airwreckarae

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2023 - 12:04 PM

Culture change is hard. We are about 70% Spanish speaking in our bakery side. I have found success in daily one point lessons and using Alchemy as a training program. Alchemy took a bit of convincing to purchase but is worth having Spanish only classroom training. We also reward people for doing the right thing with a $25 gift card. This took some time to work, but once people caught on things started to improve. 

Someone else mentioned alchemy to me a little bit ago. Did a quick google search about it and I'm not sure if I am looking in the right direction but I've come up with nothing. Do you have a link or anything? It sounds like something that may be very beneficial here.

tnguyen1300

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 April 2023 - 08:45 PM

I used this website! :) 

https://www.zosilearning.com/

Dorothy87

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 148 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 April 2023 - 03:20 PM

wow... I read all comments and I can`t believe.. in UK we have a mixture of people form different countries and what worked well is PHOTOS. Clearly indicate with red cross and green tick what is wright what is wrong, simply take a photos from the factory and use paint programme to put cross & tick, of you have a training department, organise a food safety champions meeting to focus on 1 topic per month, lets say you would like to reduce cross-contamination or ensure that the PPE is worn correctly.. make slides, organise meeting weekly, ask each department to participate max 1 person per department, recognise these who act actively during the meetings (talk to HR about employee of the month etc). Good luck ! 

Attached Files

Thanked by 4 Members:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 693 posts
  • 229 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 April 2023 - 05:54 PM

One thing that worked for us is the addition of video monitors that scroll various messages continuously (in English as well as Spanish). We've found that if you put it on  "TV" screen EVERYONE watches and gets the messages. It's also a great way to announce nearly any type of event: training, company events, Holidays, milestones (anniversaries, birthdays etc.). Consider an appreciation based company social media platform also, they're relatively simple and inexpensive.

Edited by Hoosiersmoker, 24 April 2023 - 05:55 PM.

airwreckarae

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2023 - 08:21 PM

Thank you all for your input. I have some time to really improve this area now that our unannounced audit is over (as of yesterday) we got a score of 96 for a rating of AA+ !! 

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2023 - 09:13 PM

Well done!  Make sure you celebrate that victory!

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 693 posts
  • 229 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:27 AM

Thank you all for your input. I have some time to really improve this area now that our unannounced audit is over (as of yesterday) we got a score of 96 for a rating of AA+ !! 

Congratulations! Well done!

This also provides you with another opportunity to increase FS Culture: Celebrate the employees for their input and their part in that score. Give them their due credit and you'll get more buy in going forward. Our response and postings always say something to the effect of "You Did It! 96% Audit Score!" or "(Company name here) Employees Rock! 96% Audit Score"

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,611 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 27 April 2023 - 02:54 PM

Well done!  Make sure you celebrate that victory!

And make sure you celebrate in BOTH languages! :)

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users