What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Microbiology of Frozen Whitebait

Started by , Feb 16 2022 04:05 PM
2 Replies

Hi,

I am currently writing a hazard analysis risk assessment for the battering and breading of frozen whitebait. I've included all of the more common microorganisms that can create problems but I'm a bit stumped on Clostridium botulinum. I read in several places on the internet that this amounted to as much as 30% of all outbreaks of fish related illness (that's far too big a number to not address) but my understanding is that this particular microbe is an anaerobe, preferring the absence of oxygen. Our product is neither vacuum packed or MAP packaged - so is this microbe still a concern for us? 

I would very much appreciate any comments as I am overthinking this.

Thank You In Advance

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Aseptic Products Microbiology Fresh Garlic Microbiology Fruit Juice Microbiology Does anybody know the specs for microbiology results on raw material liquid sucrose? Microbiology Criteria Standard for Environmental Monitoring Program
[Ad]

I'm not with fish industry, but you're right about clostr. botulinum - that's more for canned or whatever you've mentioned ways of packing. But let's see what fish expects say:)

Hi,

I am currently writing a hazard analysis risk assessment for the battering and breading of frozen whitebait. I've included all of the more common microorganisms that can create problems but I'm a bit stumped on Clostridium botulinum. I read in several places on the internet that this amounted to as much as 30% of all outbreaks of fish related illness (that's far too big a number to not address) but my understanding is that this particular microbe is an anaerobe, preferring the absence of oxygen. Our product is neither vacuum packed or MAP packaged - so is this microbe still a concern for us? 

I would very much appreciate any comments as I am overthinking this.

Thank You In Advance

Hi Dee,

I assume the process is battering/breading of raw fish followed by freezing and the final product is classified as raw frozen. In which case the answer is No. Generic hazard identification attached.

seafood process hazards.pdf   157.35KB   8 downloads

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Aseptic Products Microbiology Fresh Garlic Microbiology Fruit Juice Microbiology Does anybody know the specs for microbiology results on raw material liquid sucrose? Microbiology Criteria Standard for Environmental Monitoring Program Food microbiology results for Chicken and Soup Microbiology Standard for Meat Processing Plant Microbiology Sampling Plan Microbiology criteria for margarine, butter and milk Need some help with food microbiology calculation