What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Knife Holder Magnet- Zone 1 or Zone 2 Location?

Started by , May 12 2022 06:35 PM
4 Replies

This came up in a recent audit. (RTE production, each item cut multiple times before packaging, USA, Seafood HACCP)

The auditor said a knife magnet should be considered zone 2 since no food touches it.

I have been treating it as zone 1 because of cross-contact risk between all unused knives if one is put away unwashed.

Please let me know how you would treat this area. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Problems Implementing and Maintaining a Knife Control Policy Trying to find a food safe knife for opening bags Knife Control Policy Section 11.7.5.7 - Knife Control of Box Cutters Is it necessary to give each knife its own serial number?
[Ad]

I totally agree with you. I would still treat the area as a Zone 1 due to it's purpose, it holds a food contact item. The risk is high for cross contamination. 

An auditor should give you suggestions or best practices to minimize food safety risks, not backtrack on what you already have in place to do so. 

2 Likes1 Thank

He brought up that we have had multiple zone 1 positives for an allergen swab.

I told him I test the knife holder every session because of the risk and need to remedy immediately.

I carry a sanitizer bucket with me as I test. Each area (and ~2' around it) is washed and sanitized before moving on.

I do this to immediately correct any positives that may show after the 45 minute incubation cycle.

The plan will likely stay as-is. Until we can get months of negative swabs, and change some habits, I'm treating it as zone 1. 

I do not agree with auditor.

I

This came up in a recent audit. (RTE production, each item cut multiple times before packaging, USA, Seafood HACCP)

The auditor said a knife magnet should be considered zone 2 since no food touches it.

I have been treating it as zone 1 because of cross-contact risk between all unused knives if one is put away unwashed.

Please let me know how you would treat this area. 

Hi ABFC,

A little more info might assist, eg -

Standard (if any) = ?

Context = ? eg EMPG or designating Risk Levels of Production Areas ? eg BRC define their EMPG as related to microbial factors.

Similar Discussion Topics
Problems Implementing and Maintaining a Knife Control Policy Trying to find a food safe knife for opening bags Knife Control Policy Section 11.7.5.7 - Knife Control of Box Cutters Is it necessary to give each knife its own serial number? Knife Control for Delivery Drivers Bladeless Knife Program Folding knife that would be approved for use in the production? Knife Tips - PRP, CP or CCP Is a knife policy necessary for box cutters in a food packaging manufacturer?