What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Retort validation

Started by , Jun 08 2022 02:26 PM
9 Replies
Hi everyone,
My plant operates steam still retorts for canned foods. For set up retort validation schedule, i need any references about how often heat distribution test needed to be conducted. Anyone can help me,please
Thank you
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
HACCP study for thermal processing (pouch retort) HACCP study for thermal processing (pouch retort) How to sterilize cooked food in a retort? Seeking Retort Cannery on West-Coast (California?) Cook Temp. Validation Lyco Cooked Pasta & Retort Diced Potatoes
[Ad]

validation (i.e. it is capable of achieving sterility)  or verification i.e. it's operating as it should to achieve sterility?

can you clarify please

Retort Validation by Heat distribution test. I am looking some references/ regulation about the frequency to do this test. Usually auditor ask it.

Hi Dharmadi Sadeli Putra,

Most people would re-validate at least annually. You are also doing regular calibration checks?

Kind regards,

Tony

1 Like1 Thank
Hi Tony-C
Is there any regulation or reference how often do we need to re-validate?
Kind regards
Dharmadi

The regulation / reference will come from simple HACCP and best practice

In order to ensure your process step is still capable of controlling the hazards, you should revalidate at least annually as part of Principal 6

you will not find a regulation (unless it's from your government regulatory body) but given the risks if your process is inadequate, annually should be your benchmark

1 Like1 Thank

Heat distribution test need to be validated by your process authority when you change a recipe, change any of the critical factors of your approved process.Also potential;ly if you changed vendors who you purchase products from. I would recommend any changes send an email to your process authority and they should be able to make that determination. 

1 Like1 Thank

You are unlikely to find a definitive answer as to the frequency of retort validation. However, if there have been no other changes to critical factors, engineering changes to the equipment or the packaging, in my experience a frequency of two years has been typical. Of course, calibration requirements of critical instruments is much more stringent in retorting, typically 6-monthly.

It is also important to distinguish heat distribution and temperature distribution, as they are not the same. You may have already taken this into account, but ithey are very commonly confused.

1 Like1 Thank

The regulation / reference will come from simple HACCP and best practice

In order to ensure your process step is still capable of controlling the hazards, you should revalidate at least annually as part of Principal 6

you will not find a regulation (unless it's from your government regulatory body) but given the risks if your process is inadequate, annually should be your benchmark

Noted and thanks

There may also be a specific requirement from your customer. Especially if in a different geographical location (?).

2 Likes1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
HACCP study for thermal processing (pouch retort) HACCP study for thermal processing (pouch retort) How to sterilize cooked food in a retort? Seeking Retort Cannery on West-Coast (California?) Cook Temp. Validation Lyco Cooked Pasta & Retort Diced Potatoes Best retort system for coconut milk in canned products F0 value for new retort chamber I have a problem with cans coming out of the retort rusted How to conduct Temperature distribution test for steam air retort? Retort process parameters affect on canned tuna drained weight