What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Do thermometers need to be replaced when their calibration expires?

Started by , Jul 05 2022 03:44 PM
8 Replies

Do you think all thermometers need to be replaced when their calibration expires or need to be sent out and get a new certificate of calibration?

Would it be acceptable instead to just get one new calibrated thermometer with NIST/NAVLAP and/or ISO17025 calibration then just show the others are still working in comparison to the calibrated one?  

Thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Temperature a CCP - Ready to eat plant (Reference document for setting oven calibration frequency) Calibration Certificate Expiration Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration (11.2.10.2) Calibrated equipment found out of calibration Infrared Thermometer Calibration
[Ad]

I've figured out for myself that buying a new one is less headache than sending for calibration, this and that. 

1 Like1 Thank

As olenazh mentioned, the easiest way is to simply purchase a newly calibrated thermometer that comes with a certificate.

However, your strategy of simply comparing the temperature readings of your out-of-date thermometers to your newly calibrated one won't work...If you want to use a thermometer in your operation it needs to be calibrated properly. You would need to pull these out-of-date thermometers from service and replace them with newly purchased thermometers that have active calibration certificates.

1 Like2 Thanks

I've figured out for myself that buying a new one is less headache than sending for calibration, this and that. 

me too.  depending on the thermometer, I dont remember it saving a lot of money to send it out for recertification.   

Comparing your expired cert thermometers to one that has a cert is usually acceptable.   Again, sometimes easier to replace the expired cert thermometer.  It certainly easier to "defend".   

1 Like2 Thanks

As olenazh mentioned, the easiest way is to simply purchase a newly calibrated thermometer that comes with a certificate.

However, your strategy of simply comparing the temperature readings of your out-of-date thermometers to your newly calibrated one won't work...If you want to use a thermometer in your operation it needs to be calibrated properly. You would need to pull these out-of-date thermometers from service and replace them with newly purchased thermometers that have active calibration certificates.

I appreciate your answers... not really what I wanted to hear from a cost standpoint but I understand. 

I send out my master thermometer annually for recertification, all others are calibrated against that standard

4 Likes1 Thank
I go with what Scampi just said.

When I worked as a food safety inspector for Sams Club those cheap stick thermonmeters that the demo people used could easily calibrated via some ice watwe and that turn nut under the dial but about every two months most of would get tossed due to abuse or the coils would weaken.
1 Like1 Thank

I have used this in the past - a dry-block calibrator.  The unit is calibrated and then used to verify the remaining thermometers.

https://www.teltru.c...n/46/calibrator

We had a similar conversation on this thread https://www.ifsqn.co...of-calibration/

Similar Discussion Topics
Temperature a CCP - Ready to eat plant (Reference document for setting oven calibration frequency) Calibration Certificate Expiration Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration (11.2.10.2) Calibrated equipment found out of calibration Infrared Thermometer Calibration Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment Area Thermometer Calibration How soon before an SFCR licence expires should we renew? Do calibration weights need to be traceable or ISO certified? Frequency of External Calibration of Analytical Balance and Incubator