What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Anyone have a good procedure for chemical spills?

Started by , Aug 23 2022 07:18 AM
14 Replies

Hi,

Anyone have a good procedure for chemical spills?

Or should I say just make a bit of a blanket statement and say we follow manufacturers guidance?

:) 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
How can I check good sterilization? Cleaning chemical discrepancies and chemical logs Food loss and waste procedure Validated Monitoring Procedure for Frozen Meat Products. BRC 4.6.1 - procedure to document purchase specification for new equipment
[Ad]

Greetings AJL,

The question is a bit vague. Chemical spills of or on what? On food? While cleaning a facility? Dangerous/toxic/caustic chemicals? Overdosing?

Generally chemical spills are a potentially bad thing in most cases and I can hardly believe chemicals manufacturers provide guides that favor spillages or overdoses.

Can you please elaborate more to help the readers understand the situation better?

Regards!

1 Like

Hi, 

Could  you please add more details and  clarification about  your  question.

Which standard are you working on? which clause?

Thanks

Thanks - BRC Physical and chemical control prevention

We have a fairly basic clean up sign in our chemical cage.  Basically it's isolate the spill, notify supervisor, use spill kit to remove chemicals, clean then have QC inspect area.  
I have photos that correspond with each step in case of any language issues.

1 Like1 Thank
Great! Thanks for that. :)
We have our chemical rep coming next week so I asked him to think about how to include it in the training
Miss Frankie we haven't currently got a spill kit. Could you link to one to buy?

We got ours on Amazon, they have a fairly large selection depending on how big (or small) you need.  And they are OHSA approved.

Thanks

Hello,

new bullet point in BRCGS V9, 4.9.1.1: correct?

The guideline states that "provide enclosed areas around appropriate oil and chemical tanks and ensure relevant personnel are trained in spill procedures"

Hope this helps :)
Leila

Yes in a way.
But I need a procedure, for handling spills.
What do people do? Are spill kits common?

Yes in a way.
But I need a procedure, for handling spills.
What do people do? Are spill kits common?

I think it depends on the auditor.  At my last job, we got dinged for not having a spill kit.  At my current job, they got a 100 on the SQF audit last year, and didn't have one.  

This is what we have for handling spills. We use a lot of photos to help with language barriers and to draw attention.

1 Like

Spill kits usually come with procedures on how and when to use. Take that information and include it in your SOP. Review your SDS sheets to see if any chemicals require additional steps. Make sure to include where you dispose of the soiled materials, contract waste management etc. You could include it as a section in your waste management SOP. 

A good example is Universal Lab Pack Spill Kit in Stock - ULINE

Best of luck!  

I thought I added a photo to my last post showing the sign we used for chemical spills, but I forgot to click something so here it is.

Attached Files

1 Like1 Thank
👍

Similar Discussion Topics
How can I check good sterilization? Cleaning chemical discrepancies and chemical logs Food loss and waste procedure Validated Monitoring Procedure for Frozen Meat Products. BRC 4.6.1 - procedure to document purchase specification for new equipment Pasteurization Procedure for Tom Yum Paste SQF 2.4.2. Good Manufacturing Practices In House Label Disfigurement Procedure How to evaluate expired inventory to prove they are good to use? Does Anyone Know Of a Good affordable Lab to test ingredientsfor purity, strength, identity, and composition