What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Pest prevention for spices and botanicals

Started by , Oct 14 2022 07:49 PM
2 Replies

Looking for advice :) 

Background - work in spice/tea blending facility; source spice and botanical raw materials globally. Supply chain and logistic issues have necessitated we heavily stock our ingredients which are warehoused longer than normal. We can be prone to infestation with extended warehousing before consumption of raw materials. 

Anyone with experience using CO2 or O2 removal systems that work with bagged material on pallets? Would love to hear others experience relating to prevention on this potential issue.

Thank you!!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF Requirements - Pest Control Validation of prerequisites such as pest control Pest Control Risk Assessment Report Form Supplier Multiple Non-Conformances Pest BRCGSv9 Clause 4.14.7 - Pest Management on Birds
[Ad]

Hi, 

I'm sorry I have no helpful info for you. I just had to come here and say I love your username haha 

-Abbi 

Looking for advice :) 

Background - work in spice/tea blending facility; source spice and botanical raw materials globally. Supply chain and logistic issues have necessitated we heavily stock our ingredients which are warehoused longer than normal. We can be prone to infestation with extended warehousing before consumption of raw materials. 

Anyone with experience using CO2 or O2 removal systems that work with bagged material on pallets? Would love to hear others experience relating to prevention on this potential issue.

Thank you!!

CO2 systems are not very common and not reliable for the most part. I would suggest investing in a fumigation specialty chemical licensed applicator that has the knowledge, equipment, and training to get the job done safely and legally. This method are used by some spice suppliers in Canada. Yes, you'll end up paying more to use a specialty applicator, but the peace of mind knowing you're minimizing the risk of chemical residue and also the risk of having your facility shut down by OSHA for an infestation problem is well worth the money. 

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF Requirements - Pest Control Validation of prerequisites such as pest control Pest Control Risk Assessment Report Form Supplier Multiple Non-Conformances Pest BRCGSv9 Clause 4.14.7 - Pest Management on Birds SQF Pest Control Module 10 Need help with laundry and pest control service performance monitoring check list How to collect pest control data for easier monitoring? USDA Pest Sighting- Plant shutdown SQF Pest Control - Monitoring requirements for facility staff