What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Freezer Thermometer Calibration

Started by , Dec 07 2022 09:37 PM
3 Replies

Hi all,

We have one THERMOMETER mounted outside the freezer but it is not effective. We purchased one and we wrapped it around one rack in the freezer. It was working well until recently when it started giving a result very far different from our reference thermometer. I am just wondering about what thermometer should be used for walk in freezer. Also how should the thermometer be calibrated? and also what should be the acceptable difference between reference and test reading?

Thanks,

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Freezer a PC? Does the freezer need to be on the flow chart as a preventative control Air filtration for blast freezer Freezer and Refrigerator Temperature How to mitigate or prevent Frost on Spiral Freezer entrance?
[Ad]

Hi all,

We have one THERMOMETER mounted outside the freezer but it is not effective. We purchased one and we wrapped it around one rack in the freezer. It was working well until recently when it started giving a result very far different from our reference thermometer. I am just wondering about what thermometer should be used for walk in freezer. Also how should the thermometer be calibrated? and also what should be the acceptable difference between reference and test reading?

Thanks,

Hi omoware,

The usual target IMEX is to monitor the warmest area in freezer although a knowledge of the temperature profile is useful for a static situation. Choice of monitoring instrument likely relates to yr financial resources, eg data loggers, bimetallic, thermocouple and how precisely you wish to know the temperature.

The usual procedure IMEX is to calibrate an isolated freezer monitoring instrument against a reference thermometer which is externally calibrated at the freezer temperature. (It's unfortunately not easy to set up internal reference thermometer temperatures around -18degC).

1 Like

Hi omoware,

The usual target IMEX is to monitor the warmest area in freezer although a knowledge of the temperature profile is useful for a static situation. Choice of monitoring instrument likely relates to yr financial resources, eg data loggers, bimetallic, thermocouple and how precisely you wish to know the temperature.

The usual procedure IMEX is to calibrate an isolated freezer monitoring instrument against a reference thermometer which is externally calibrated at the freezer temperature. (It's unfortunately not easy to set up internal reference thermometer temperatures around -18degC).

Thanks Charles

The calibration procedure you described is exactly what we do but the difference has been more than +/_ 0.5, which I know to be the standard.

Regards,

Thanks Charles

The calibration procedure you described is exactly what we do but the difference has been more than +/_ 0.5, which I know to be the standard.

Regards,

Hi Omoware,

What kind(s) of "thermometer is/are being used"?

IMEX, air temperature is used for routine monitoring of environment in air blast freezers.

What is approx. day-by-day  max  difference in reading between 2 units at (I presume) ca -18degC air temperature ?

(Are you sure the 2 thermometers are sampling the same location ?).

Similar Discussion Topics
Freezer a PC? Does the freezer need to be on the flow chart as a preventative control Air filtration for blast freezer Freezer and Refrigerator Temperature How to mitigate or prevent Frost on Spiral Freezer entrance? Ideas on how to clean in a warehouse freezer? Freezer Truck Refrigerant Unit Calibration Chiller and Freezer Breakdown Procedures Freezer Floor Cleaning products Freezing in Freezer Critical Limits