What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Organic Ingredients in New Product

Started by , Dec 30 2022 12:00 AM
6 Replies

Hello, 

The company I work for is going to start a new product. We are in the works of submitting all documentation to the customer and I just noticed that one of the spec sheets for an egg we are going to use is for an organic egg, but when I went back to look at our ingredient statement in OUR spec sheet it doesn't state that we are using an organic egg. I asked and indeed we are going to use organic egg.

My question is, do we need any certification to use organic egg on a non organic product or is it ok to just receive documentation from our supplier? From what I know we can use organic on non organic but not vice versa but I just want to make sure.

TYIA  :helpplease:

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? Organic Audit - Food Storage and Distribution Organic Food Fraud program Is there a difference between Organic Food Fraud and Conventional food fraud? GMO Testing for Organic Corn
[Ad]
Under the circumstances nothing special needs to be done.
1 Like1 Thank

Well, there is one thing to do----------ask why they want to spend the extra $$$ when it A) cannot be claimed organic on the finished product and 2) is much more expensive

You can use organic in traditional processing but you CANNOT do it the other way around

2 Likes1 Thank

Conventional ingredient can be used in organic products provided that it's less than 5%. In this case, the product still can be called organic. That's as per Organic Regulations in Canada.

1 Like1 Thank

Well, there is one thing to do----------ask why they want to spend the extra $$$ when it A) cannot be claimed organic on the finished product and 2) is much more expensive

You can use organic in traditional processing but you CANNOT do it the other way around

Apparently these organic eggs where cheaper than the regular eggs we needed *shrug*.

Ok good, that's what I knew too. Thanks Scampi.

1 Like

Apparently these organic eggs where cheaper than the regular eggs we needed *shrug*.

We have encountered a similar situation where the conventional product has a minimum order quantity so large that it is more economical for us to purchase the organic version (smaller MOQ). We use it in our conventional products with no problem. We do not use it in our organic products so it is not treated as organic in our warehouse plan.

1 Like1 Thank

Ok good, that's what I knew too. Thanks Scampi.

Egg prices are "upside down" right now so-to-speak. 

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? Organic Audit - Food Storage and Distribution Organic Food Fraud program Is there a difference between Organic Food Fraud and Conventional food fraud? GMO Testing for Organic Corn Organic Status - Flour Production Organic Material - Inventory Discrepancies Organic Fraud Prevention Guide How to control flour beetle in an organic mill? FSSC 22000 VERSION5.1 Organic Mineral HACCP Plan