What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Knife Control for Delivery Drivers

Started by , Jan 11 2023 04:19 PM
6 Replies

Hello everyone,

I would like to get the group's take on knife control for delivery drivers. The facility is a distribution centre and our drivers are using safety kutters. Should this be part of a knife control policy? They do not enter the warehouse and only use the knife to cut film from pallets.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Problems Implementing and Maintaining a Knife Control Policy Trying to find a food safe knife for opening bags Knife Control Policy Section 11.7.5.7 - Knife Control of Box Cutters Is it necessary to give each knife its own serial number?
[Ad]

Since you're only speaking of drivers out on delivery, I would not put those knives into a control program as there is negligible risk due to the product being in it's final packaging at this stage

In our instance, our delivery drivers do not enter or even have access to the production area. Because of this, we do not check or monitor their knives.

Thank you everyone. May I ask, if the risk is low due to the product being in its final and packaged state, then what would be the risk in the warehouse? We only store enclosed product.

As per BRCGS issue 4 for storage and distribution:

Where knives are routinely used to remove pallet film, staff shall be trained in their proper use to reduce the risk of cutting into product packaging. Snap-off blades (i.e. where the old segment of blade can be snapped off to reveal a new sharp edge) are a source of potential metal contamination and are not permitted.

I am in discussion with operations regarding our knife policy. We may end up purchasing bladeless knives.

In all honesty, it will be an oversight on BRC's part 

most folks think about trucking as full loads, not LTL 

In my experience, bladeless knives do not work well on film (too stretchy) and needs an actual blade

Easier to give them a knife with a solid blade that is properly disposed of when dull ( a sharpes container works well for this and is good H&S practice)

Thanks everyone for your help and input!

It doesn't really matter whether you use bladeless knives or regular ones. You still need a register to avoid knives going missing, but for delivery drivers out on their run, it really doesn't pose much relevant risk.

Similar Discussion Topics
Problems Implementing and Maintaining a Knife Control Policy Trying to find a food safe knife for opening bags Knife Control Policy Section 11.7.5.7 - Knife Control of Box Cutters Is it necessary to give each knife its own serial number? Bladeless Knife Program Folding knife that would be approved for use in the production? Knife Holder Magnet- Zone 1 or Zone 2 Location? Knife Tips - PRP, CP or CCP Is a knife policy necessary for box cutters in a food packaging manufacturer?