What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Food Safety Near Miss

Started by , Jan 28 2023 04:39 PM
10 Replies

Does anyone have a Near Miss program for "Food Safety" that you utilize in a food manufacturing plant?

Thanks in advance.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment for Processes Food safety culture Food Safety Additionally requirements
[Ad]

Does anyone have a Near Miss program for "Food Safety" that you utilize in a food manufacturing plant?

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by near miss program. A deviation is a deviation.

1 Like

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by near miss program. A deviation is a deviation.

Going to have to agree here - it's either safe or unsafe. Having a near miss program just sounds like extra documentation for un-needed investigations. 

Are you talking about identifying operational limits to make corrections before the deviation occurs and corrective action needed? 

1 Like

Going to have to agree here - it's either safe or unsafe. Having a near miss program just sounds like extra documentation for un-needed investigations. 

Are you talking about identifying operational limits to make corrections before the deviation occurs and corrective action needed? 

Agreed. When I first started at my current place, there was about 4 different versions of non-conformances, all with separate documentation.

Make your life easier and just log it all through the non-conformance/corrective action system

Kind regards,

Ry

Agreed that more detail is needed

EXCEPT when it comes to a CCP----there should be written deviation procedures that need to be followed to the letter if/when there is a CCP failure

We had a 'near miss' form at my last facility, but it was more a safety thing than a food quality.
Like the time when a forklift driver ALMOST hit me, that was considered a 'near miss'.

A potential accident that was prevented in time = something for the safety committee to check out and prevent from happening in the future.

4 Likes

We had a 'near miss' form at my last facility, but it was more a safety thing than a food quality.
Like the time when a forklift driver ALMOST hit me, that was considered a 'near miss'.

A potential accident that was prevented in time = something for the safety committee to check out and prevent from happening in the future.

Exactly that's why I am thinking more operational limit. Temperature is a good example - having the operational limit be 165 and food safety limit is 150 - so if the temperature is below 165, operators have time to adjust before it becomes  a food safety issues - "near miss" 

1 Like

Exactly that's why I am thinking more operational limit. Temperature is a good example - having the operational limit be 165 and food safety limit is 150 - so if the temperature is below 165, operators have time to adjust before it becomes  a food safety issues - "near miss" 

NO not a near miss, this is an operational deviation

If not a CCP, simply record it on the batch record

If a CCP, then you need to have written (and followed) deviation procedures in place BEFORE you even run product

3 Likes

A near miss is for health and safety purposes. Potential accident versus a real incident.

I would have to agree with the others. With food safety, better to just make it simple and categorize it as a deviation. 

1 Like

Near miss is a common practice in safety programs. However, in food safety it is new but can be very useful. It can mainly help prevent occurrences or incidences that can potentially be considered violations. Thus, it is necessary to have a system in place and do the following four things: 

1. Find/recognize the near misses 

2. Document it 

3. Report it (escalate it)

4. See/review trends. 

1 Like
Especially for Near Miss in Food Safety , 
In principle:
1. There is planning for things that are near misses or may occur contamination or have an impact on food safety. meaning there has never been an incident (0 likelihood).
2.External audit input as Opportunity for Improvement can be incorporated into this program. 

FSRA (Food Safety Risk Assessment) is also one of near miss program in food safety. 

Thank you 

Similar Discussion Topics
Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment for Processes Food safety culture Food Safety Additionally requirements Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture Accommodations for Medication & Food How would you rate the food safety culture in your workplace? Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Repackaging of Food Grade product