What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Shelf Life In-House Testing

Started by , Feb 27 2023 03:13 PM
3 Replies

My company produces fresh raw ground beef vacuum packed. We have a lab in-house and are looking to perform our shelf life testing in-house but looking for some direction on how others may perform these tests

-what types of plates do you use?

-what time frames do you use? 

Any direction could be great! 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Shelf Life of Primary Packaging Cause of condensation in shelf stable dressing cup Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Shelf Life Testing Risk Assessment Milk powder - short shelf life
[Ad]

Generally speaking what happens during shelf life testing is organoleptic AND plated sampling being done at regular intervals (1, 3, 5,7,8,9-depending on the desired shelf life declaration)

I would think you should be testing for

aerobic plate count

e coli plate count

y&m plate count

These would need to be repeated at intervals as suggested above 

You may want to think about nutritional testing as well to see if there is any degradation in the composition over time

My company produces fresh raw ground beef vacuum packed. We have a lab in-house and are looking to perform our shelf life testing in-house but looking for some direction on how others may perform these tests

-what types of plates do you use?

-what time frames do you use? 

Any direction could be great! 

It should be minimally based on (a) the specification(b) storage temperature, and (c) desired (or legislatory if applicable) shelf life. I hope you have these items and possess some micro. experience.

Not my Product area but IIRC, vacuum packing of NRTE meat does have some typical objectives regarding length of shelf life ?.

How is your inhouse lab separated from the rest of the building? 

I'm not too keen on growing bacteria within a food manufacturing facility.

Only one company I ever worked for tested micro inhouse.

They stopped when the requirements for microbiological testing became a lot stricter.

Similar Discussion Topics
Shelf Life of Primary Packaging Cause of condensation in shelf stable dressing cup Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Shelf Life Testing Risk Assessment Milk powder - short shelf life Shelf life of vacuumed rainbow trout fillets Pasteurizing Chilli Relish to extend shelf life Shelf life issue fresh fish Shelf Life Standards Shelf life testing of beef and chicken donair meat