What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Sugar and salt as having no hazards in my Hazard Analysis

Started by , Mar 08 2023 03:38 PM
9 Replies

I have sugar & salt as having no hazards in my Hazard Analysis? Does anyone have it different & if so why?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
HACCP in the sugar industry EU regulations on black spec allowance in sugar Concerns of adding a plastic hang hook on a tea and sugar filter bag Organic Cane Sugar - Foreign Material HELP Foreign Material from Sugar Vendor
[Ad]

Is anyone willing to share some of their Supply Chain Preventative Controls?

Appendix 1 in the FSMA code will have the hazards associated with different items. The guide is what a FDA inspector will go by.

1 Thank

I have sugar & salt as having no hazards in my Hazard Analysis? Does anyone have it different & if so why?

As incoming seasoning ingredients?  We rate our seasoning as very low risk as well, including granulated salts and sugars. 

I wouldn't say anything has no risk/hazards.  Foreign material, chemical contamination, tampering etc. can apply to just about anything.  You probably have a receiving procedure that would reject something damaged, which mitigates many of those.

You should also check for any recalls and metal is an issue with salt.

No ingredient has no risks whatsoever, but in most companies, sugar and salt tend to be low risk.

Make sure the manufacturer has foreign material covered in their own preventive controls and

make sure salt and sugar are not blocking because people stacked pallets on top of pallets adding extra pressure on the lower bags.

I would not say no hazards.  Take a what if approach.  If your white cane sugar was to be mixed with something else that is white as well, how would you know.  If you don't have complete control over the process of an ingredient, it cannot be "no hazard".  Working with reliable suppliers and obtaining a letter of guarantee for their products can get you to a position where you can say low risk. 

Have you referred to the COA of your sugar and salt? Anything tested in the COA can be considered as potential hazard to conduct a risk analysis. 

I consider heavy metal as a potential chemical hazard.

2 Likes

Appendix 1 doesnt list any risks for sugar other than unapproved additives and colors, which I think is strange. 

Salt is not listed at all. 

There have been sugar recalls (for FM).   I don't recall any salt recalls. 

As long as you can justify your HA, you should be ok.   

1 Like

RiskPlaza usually considers foreign material a risk on basically anything.

Similar Discussion Topics
HACCP in the sugar industry EU regulations on black spec allowance in sugar Concerns of adding a plastic hang hook on a tea and sugar filter bag Organic Cane Sugar - Foreign Material HELP Foreign Material from Sugar Vendor Micro in Sugar Processing? High Sugar Sauces Added sugar in ice cream CCPs in sugar processing Minimum acceptable gauss strength of magnets for sugar industry