What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Microbes significant in PP based packaging materials

Started by , Apr 03 2023 06:14 AM
4 Replies

Hi All,

I started to work in PP based food packaging materials industry. Earlier i worked for Food processing industry.

Can any one tell me what are the significant microbes in polypropelene based packaging materials production. I have a task to make upgarde the Environmental Monitoring Plan here.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? Microbes in Coconut Water Microbes in Flour, are some grades better than others? Using UV Light for Factory Site to Kill Microbes Was told I needed a GLP program because I swab for microbes with color changing swabs
[Ad]

AFAIK, bacteria need moisture to survive or grow - PP-based materials are dry, your production is dry, right? So, you're safe, and your EMP needs maybe some annual formal testing, like say air for Y&M, water for TC and swabbing for Listeria. Though, I would wait for other comments from packaging manufacturing professionals.

1 Like1 Thank

None

There is no scientific evidence showing microbes can grow on PP.  As far as environmental program, you don't need one, but you need to justify that.  Do initial swabbing showing results are good, or do a risk based assessment, etc. or combination of factors.  

2 Likes1 Thank

You want to make sure you store the PP in a clean dry place without any chance of contamination from other sources.

1 Like2 Thanks

Hi All,

I started to work in PP based food packaging materials industry. Earlier i worked for Food processing industry.

Can any one tell me what are the significant microbes in polypropelene based packaging materials production. I have a task to make upgarde the Environmental Monitoring Plan here.

Afaik, the temperatures used in plastic production typically give near micro. "sterility" based on APC measurements so Post 4 is critical.

1 Like1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? Microbes in Coconut Water Microbes in Flour, are some grades better than others? Using UV Light for Factory Site to Kill Microbes Was told I needed a GLP program because I swab for microbes with color changing swabs Efficiency of flash fryer in killing microbes in food What types of microbes can be found on plastic packaging? Hand dryers! microbes? Challenge studies using surrogate microbes What microbes can present in paper board used for packaging?