What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Sodium Caseinate INS Number?

Started by , Apr 10 2023 03:45 AM
1 Reply

Dear All,

Can any one help me to get know whether "Sodium Caseinate" have an INS number?

If so could you please mention the INS number also?

Thank you very much!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Water Concentration recommended for a cooling bath using Sodium hypochlorite 12.5% Sodium Metabisulphite: Food additive or processing aid in potato production? Supplier reducing sodium in product - still have old packaging film on hand Sodium Hydroxide Lead Time in the UK Safe Levels of Sodium Metabisulfite
[Ad]

Hi asith,

See attached CODEX Class Names and the International Numbering System for Food Additives CXG 36-1989

INS Numbers CXG_036e.pdf   2.49MB   4 downloads

I believe that some organisations are categorizing Sodium Caseinate as E469/INS469 for example Foodchem here.

I don’t believe that INS 469 Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, enzymatically hydrolysed (Cellulose gum, enzymatically hydrolyzed), see page 31 in CODEX Class Names and the International Numbering System, is the same as Sodium Caseinate.

See here in ChemicalBook Sodium caseinate Usage And Synthesis – Description:

There is no definite chemical structure for sodium caseinate. In electrophoretic analysis, there are at least 20 different kinds of protein components. The main components are a mixture of alpha casein, beta casein and kappa casein (rather than simple proteins).

Also, see E numbers from The Guardian

In the EU, common food additives are assigned an identifying three- or four-digit code, known as an E number. While it’s common practice for labels in the EU to identify food additives by their E Numbers, in the US, additives must be referenced by their common names. “’Sodium caseinate’ would be declared as such in the ingredient list of a US food label,” explains Culhane. “On an EU food label, it would be declared as ‘E469’.”

So, you have asked an interesting question, Sodium Caseinate may be declared as E469/INS469 but I am not sure that is 100% correct and would prefer that my products were labelled Sodium Caseinate in the ingredients list without referring to a specific e number. Obviously we also need to consider applicable legislation regarding labelling.

Kind regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
Water Concentration recommended for a cooling bath using Sodium hypochlorite 12.5% Sodium Metabisulphite: Food additive or processing aid in potato production? Supplier reducing sodium in product - still have old packaging film on hand Sodium Hydroxide Lead Time in the UK Safe Levels of Sodium Metabisulfite Sodium content in water used as an ingredient Do I need to consider the sodium benzoate as one my CCPs How to measure sodium nitrite content in dry brine mix? Application of sodium metabisulfit for seafood production Declaration of salt (sodium chloride) on food packaging