What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

HARPC HA - ready-to-cook finished good but lethality steps

Started by , Apr 20 2023 08:13 PM
3 Replies

I transitioned from a fried food USDA plant to an FDA plant with simulated meats.

For USDA, I am cooking raw batter to lethality.  For FDA, I am cooking raw batter but the end consumer will be "cooking" the product.  

Based on my HACCP experience, this heating step is a CCP for USDA.  Would I consider it a CCP/lethality step for ready to cook or is it just a processing step for product quality?

Advice?  Examples?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
HACCP/HARPC training FSVP - what is needed in addition to HARPC supply-chain program? Product with fish: HACCP or HARPC Software for both HACCP and HARPC Risk Assessments in HACCP, and HARPC
[Ad]

I transitioned from a fried food USDA plant to an FDA plant with simulated meats.

For USDA, I am cooking raw batter to lethality.  For FDA, I am cooking raw batter but the end consumer will be "cooking" the product.  

Based on my HACCP experience, this heating step is a CCP for USDA.  Would I consider it a CCP/lethality step for ready to cook or is it just a processing step for product quality?

Advice?  Examples?

It appears you are referring to an RTE versus NRTE finished product (often described as cooked and pre-cooked respectively).

Since a hazard analysis for traditional HACCP includes consumer use and assuming the NRTE product has a labelled, validated, cooking instruction the latter step should eliminate any microbial hazards. Accordingly, for NRTE, the preliminary heating step will not be associated with a (microbial based) CCP.

1 Like1 Thank

Thanks Charles!

The hazards you are identifying will be "controlled by a later step", specifically the lethality validated process in the instructions.

This could be one of the atypical HACCP variations where you might not have a biological CCP even though there are known biological hazards.

Similar Discussion Topics
HACCP/HARPC training FSVP - what is needed in addition to HARPC supply-chain program? Product with fish: HACCP or HARPC Software for both HACCP and HARPC Risk Assessments in HACCP, and HARPC Differences between HACCP and HARPC Specialty Coffee Roasting HACCP/HARPC and FSVP Including Food Defense and Food Fraud Hazards in HARPC HACCP/HARPC/FSMA Hazard Analysis HARPC Plan with CCP for seasonings