What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Are all biological hazards considered castatrophic in terms of severity?

Started by , Jun 28 2023 03:46 PM
5 Replies

Hello- I am updating my companies HACCP plans for fresh produce, consumed raw.

We recently updated our hazard matrix to include 5 severity levels:

Severity 
1. Negligible – Does not meet internal food safety and quality standards
2. Minor – Does not meet internal food safety and quality standard upper/lower thresholds
3. Moderate – Does not meet regulatory requirements, but not likely to cause adverse health consequences 
4. Major – Temporary or medically reversible adverse health consequences 
5. Catastrophic – Serious adverse health consequences or death to consumer

In terms of biological hazards on our HACCP plans, examples: contamination from improper handling from an employee, contamination from irrigation water, contamination from biological plant products, etc.

For severity, would the results always be catastrophic when worried about ecoli, listeria, salmonella as pathogenic organisms?

Or could some biological hazards be classfied as major?

Thanks
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
does storage like freezer and refrigerator considered prps ? Seafood Hazards Master Guide Can an undetected test piece be considered a physical hazard in a metal detection process? USDA and Duck Hazards Pathogen Severity - Serious Illness or Fatality?
[Ad]

Hello- I am updating my companies HACCP plans for fresh produce, consumed raw.

We recently updated our hazard matrix to include 5 severity levels:

Severity 
1. Negligible – Does not meet internal food safety and quality standards
2. Minor – Does not meet internal food safety and quality standard upper/lower thresholds
3. Moderate – Does not meet regulatory requirements, but not likely to cause adverse health consequences 
4. Major – Temporary or medically reversible adverse health consequences 
5. Catastrophic – Serious adverse health consequences or death to consumer

In terms of biological hazards on our HACCP plans, examples: contamination from improper handling from an employee, contamination from irrigation water, contamination from biological plant products, etc.

For severity, would the results always be catastrophic when worried about ecoli, listeria, salmonella as pathogenic organisms?

Or could some biological hazards be classfied as major?

Thanks

Hi brerhein,

Frankly, IMHO, some of your set of criteria are ambiguous / not very suitable to be used for a haccp risk matrix,. For example, haccp is safety prioritised so you might consider deleting all occurrences of "Quality".

Please note that -

(1) Listeria spp is not categorized as a biological hazard

(2) (generic) E.coli is not categorized as a biological hazard

(3) Salmonella spp is regarded as a biological hazard.

In previous times,  qualitative separations of the severity of various microbial pathogens was implemented but afaik, nowadays, their severity is typically, uniformly, regarded as "High" or perhaps Very High" depending on yr specific matrix format. IMEX the terminology "Catastrophic" is seldom used as a specific category.

1 Like

Hi brerhein,

Frankly, IMHO, some of your set of criteria are not very suitable to be used for a haccp risk matrix,. For example, haccp is safety prioritised so you might consider deleting all occurrences of "Quality".

is

Please note that -

(1) Listeria spp is not categorized as a biological hazard

(2) (generic) E.coli is not categorized as a biological hazard

(3) Salmonella spp is regarded as a biological hazard.

In previous times,  qualitative separations of the severity of various microbial pathogens was implemented but afaik, nowadays, their severity is typically, uniformly, regarded as "High" or perhaps Very High" depending on yr specific matrix format

Thank you for replying! I will definitely remove the quality wording, good catch thank you!

Is the biological hazards listed above set from FDA?

Thank you for replying! I will definitely remove the quality wording, good catch thank you!

Afaik, items (1),(3) are ubiquitously adopted in microbiological textbooks. Item (2) IIRC is defined, for example, in the Canadian regulatory Standards but in practice is often inferred by the terminology "E.coli" which is obviously ambiguous inasmuch as the relevant HACCP species are such as E.coli O157:H7, etc

No idea whether FDA publishes an official terminology list, sorry, For pathogens you could refer to their well-known Draft Guidance Appendix which is atttached  in numerous posts on this Forum.

Biological hazards are set for many ingredients. Appendix 1 of the FSMA document has different hazards associated foods. 

Also another website that may be of help to you: https://www.fda.gov/...-produce-safety

JFI, FDA seem to define generic E.coli via Procedure, eg -

FSMA-Ecoli-Testing-in-Agri-Water.pdf   139.69KB   6 downloads

This basically equates to the distinction as mentioned in (2) of Post 2.

Similar Discussion Topics
does storage like freezer and refrigerator considered prps ? Seafood Hazards Master Guide Can an undetected test piece be considered a physical hazard in a metal detection process? USDA and Duck Hazards Pathogen Severity - Serious Illness or Fatality? Can Someone Check My HACCP Hazards? Control the biological hazards documentation Biological Hazards Question Considering raw material micro hazards in hazard analysis Minimum power of a magnet to be considered compliant with the food safety requirements?