What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How do you dispose of knives?

Started by , Jun 28 2023 05:44 PM
8 Replies

We fillet fresh fish, and when are knives are replaced, the old ones are put in a cabinet.

Well, the cabinet is getting full.  

At past places, we've just thrown them in the garbage.  

Is there better ways?   (We do track the knives being used and when they are removed from production) 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Cutting and creasing knives file How do you dispose of empty chemical drums and containers? How can I dispose of expired agar? Knives and Scissors control Knives Dip with Sanitizer (Quaternary based- Quorum Clear) in Processing Area
[Ad]

Sharps should be boxed up, taped closed and labeled "sharps" for the protection of garbage handlers, then disposed of in the garbage. Record when, what, who and how it was done on a Disposition form. If this isn't addressed in your Foreign Material Control program, I would add it.

I know some municipal garbage disposal company's would consider this a special waste item and you maybe required to drop off at a sorting center.

Hope this helps!

Our knives are disposed of by the maintenance shop. They are put in with their items that have to be disposed of separately than the trash. Not sure what they do with them.

You could call your waste disposal company and ask for advice. 

have your maintenance team grind the rest of the blades off--then you just have the handles to dispose of

Sharps should be boxed up, taped closed and labeled "sharps" for the protection of garbage handlers, then disposed of in the garbage. Record when, what, who and how it was done on a Disposition form. If this isn't addressed in your Foreign Material Control program, I would add it.

I know some municipal garbage disposal company's would consider this a special waste item and you maybe required to drop off at a sorting center.

Hope this helps!

Thanks.
Yes, we have everything documented.  Knife #, when it was replaced, why it was replaced, what number with was replaced with, where it was used, where the new one is used, who pulled the knife, etc. 

have your maintenance team grind the rest of the blades off--then you just have the handles to dispose of

Interesting concept. I like it.
Not sure if our maintenance department has a grinder, I haven't spent much time there, but I THINK it's only 1 guy, maybe 2.

Our knives are disposed of by the maintenance shop. They are put in with their items that have to be disposed of separately than the trash. Not sure what they do with them.

You could call your waste disposal company and ask for advice. 

Thanks.  We're pretty small, not sure what the maintenance dept. does for waste.   I'll have to look into that as well.

Similar, they're destroyed sufficiently to add them to a scrap metal bin.  Handles in the garbage, metal waste gets sold/recycled.

Where I last worked, Maintenance ground off the numbers, "retired" those numbers in their inventory, and then offered the knives to employees to take home if they still had some potential use in a non-factory setting. Any that were not taken home were sheathed with protective material (like cardboard) to prevent injury and discarded in the trash.

Similar Discussion Topics
Cutting and creasing knives file How do you dispose of empty chemical drums and containers? How can I dispose of expired agar? Knives and Scissors control Knives Dip with Sanitizer (Quaternary based- Quorum Clear) in Processing Area How to dispose of a drum containing an unknown chemical? BRC 4.9.2.3 - Definition of snap-off blade knives Bag opening: Seeking alternatives to knives. Knives used to open Raw Material Cases PPE when sharpening knives - poultry cutting plant