What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

BRCGS Issue 9 Requirement: 4.9.6.3 - Other Foreign-Body Contaminants

Started by , Jul 12 2023 07:46 PM
6 Replies

Hello! I am trying to better understand what "other" foreign-body contaminants would be included under 4.9.6.3. It states "contamination that is not specifically covered in section 4.9." Since 4.9 does include staples, clips, pens, mobile devices, wood, glass containers, etc., I'm not sure what to include in my risk assessment for the "other" category. Any thoughts?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control BRCGS Haulier Transport Questionnaire BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire?
[Ad]

it could be other FM that is determined from a hazard analysis.   Rocks.    Hard plastic.  bones.

it may be a clause that does not apply to you.  

what risk assessment are you doing?   

I already have risk assessments done for BRCGS clauses 4.9.2.2 (Staples and paperclips), 4.9.3.3 Glass Breakage, 4.9.5.1 Wood in the Plant, and 4.9.6.2 Control of Pens, and Glass and Brittle Plastics. Would it be acceptable to say that all major foreign-body contaminants are covered under these other clauses, and there are no other major foreign-body contaminant risks? 

But then I would be confused as to why BRC felt the need to include this new clause 4.9.6.3?

To cover anything not listed in previous sections...?

Correct! I do not believe that we have any other potential foreign-body contaminants beyond the ones listed in other risk assessments. I should be covered if I just state this within the risk-assessment, right?

Correct! I do not believe that we have any other potential foreign-body contaminants beyond the ones listed in other risk assessments. I should be covered if I just state this within the risk-assessment, right?

yes

Hello,

clause 4.9.6.3 of the BRC may have been included to ensure that companies consider all risks of contamination from foreign bodies, even those not specifically addressed in other clauses. This was done to address specific situations or categories of foreign body contaminants that are less common or "unexpected," but could potentially end up accidentally in the product.

Furthermore, this clause could provide auditors with a more comprehensive and detailed view of how companies manage risks related to contamination from foreign bodies, allowing them to assess more accurately how companies address and mitigate such risks throughout the entire production and packaging process.

Similar Discussion Topics
BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control BRCGS Haulier Transport Questionnaire BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire? Are there any new clauses in BRCGS packaging version 6 Adding new building to BRCGS Issue 6 Certification BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? BRCGS Finished Goods Traceability BRCGS 5.4.4 - Food Fraud Risk