What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Retail Package COA

Started by , Jul 25 2023 05:40 PM
4 Replies

I have been reviewing the SQF policy and I cannot see where it calls out a COA (COC) is required for packaging. We are receiving alot of FDA statements of compliance for them-but some seem to not know what a COA (COC) is.  Can anyone possibly help me with guidance on what we should receive from packaging companies when we receive packaging for food.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Retail Certification? Retail Labeling Retail Supplier Management and Approval Retail labeling Retail Labeling
[Ad]

Up to what your requirements are...working in the packaging world currently, we have some customers that want a COA every shipment, some that want a COC and some that want nothing.  It's a mixed bag really.  

Pretty much what you are looking for is a guarantee there is no chemical migration possible from packaging to the food. This information could be covered by an FDA statement.

All I want to see as an Auditor is that there is no possible migration - thus an COA would do the trick.

Are any of them certified to a GFSI scheme? We use a statement in our LOG that our products are in compliance with the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act 21 CFR 176.170 (with a statement of specific sections). We are a paperboard packaging manufacturer.

We are a manufacturer of food contact packaging. I get requests for CoAs quite frequently. I typically respond that we are a packaging supplier and do not supply food product or ingredients and suggest that we will provide a CoC in lieu of the CoA. The CoC lists the customer name, description of what we are providing, the customer part number, our part number, the customer PO number, the quantity ordered, the quantity shipped, and the date shipped. We certify that we are in compliance with the requirements of the customer purchase order, the customer specifications, and there is an option for "Other".

We usually already have provided FDA compliance and other related documents for these customers and this always satisfies the customer requests for this type of documentation. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Retail Certification? Retail Labeling Retail Supplier Management and Approval Retail labeling Retail Labeling Retail traceability and withdrawal procedure SQF requirements for Ingredients available for retail purchase Coding retail product Retail food inspector over-reaching into manufacturing BRCGS Retail Standard issue 1 - In Store Sampling Program