What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

BRCGS Clause 4.10.3.3 - What does this mean?

Started by , Jul 25 2023 05:48 PM
3 Replies

what does this actually mean - how are you all interpreting this?

4.10.3.3 - Operating Effectiveness and Sensitivity of the Equipment and any Variation to this for Particular Product

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control BRCGS Haulier Transport Questionnaire BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire?
[Ad]

4.10.3.3 The site shall establish and implement documented procedures for the operation and testing of the metal detection or X-ray equipment. This shall include, at a minimum:<br>- responsibilities for the testing of equipment<br>- the operating effectiveness and sensitivity of the equipment and any variation to this for particular products<br>- the methods and frequency of checking the detector<br>recording of the results of checks.<br>

Here you are being asked to provide guidance on what metal sensitivity do you test your equipment to ensure food safety. How often do you perform the testing, what grade? sensitivity depends on metal type. By challenging the detector in a repeated manner with a certified metal sphere or rod at determined times you will have accomplished this task.

Agreed - I also decided to take a Risk Based Assessment Approach

To achieve optimal effectiveness - I interpreted this as the location. In order for MD to be optimally effective, it needs to be at the end of the production line. Created a Risk Assessment to work this out.

I combined this with a frequency of checks assessment and the sensitivity of the wands as well. Lastly, I also documented that optimal effectiveness for our establishment includes trained FSQA and Maintenance Personnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi  Elsa,

I suggest you acquire the BRC Interp.Guidelines which may help you understand BRC's sometimes mystical semantics.

I think "effectiveness" relates to the Sensitivity, ie is it adequately sensitive as determined using test wands ? (Tables are available which predict what sensitivity should be approx. attainable for a given setup).

There is no absolute answer to "adequately" eg large packages are typically associated with a lower metal detection capability (sensitivity) as compared to smaller ones.

Similar Discussion Topics
BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control BRCGS Haulier Transport Questionnaire BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire? Are there any new clauses in BRCGS packaging version 6 Adding new building to BRCGS Issue 6 Certification BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? BRCGS Finished Goods Traceability BRCGS 5.4.4 - Food Fraud Risk