What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Fresh Garlic Microbiology

Started by , Aug 02 2023 02:06 PM
1 Reply

I currently am in the talks about testing garlic but the literature seems to be scarce and a majority of my work/experience has been with proteins. What would be a good range for Total Plate Count?

I know the FDA BAM does not illicitly mention garlic in this sense so is it up to the processing plant as to the level of risk they're willing to take?

Additionally, would there be any issues getting true counts? I've always assumed garlic was a natural antimicrobial. 

Thank you in advance :)

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Shelf life issue fresh fish Cutting fresh water fish Insect complaints RTE Salads, Fresh Produce Food safety requirements for ready meals production with fresh vegetables and salad SQFP in fresh produce
[Ad]

A) garlic is grown in soil so likely to be cross contaminated with a wide range of bacterium

B) garlics known properties are linked to using individual cloves but whole garlic may contain a whole host of microbes

https://www.rasacree...eases-and-pests

C) since garlic is an agricultural commodity, you need to think about thing like e coli, salmonella and listeria from the soil

Reach out to the lab you're going to use 

Similar Discussion Topics
Shelf life issue fresh fish Cutting fresh water fish Insect complaints RTE Salads, Fresh Produce Food safety requirements for ready meals production with fresh vegetables and salad SQFP in fresh produce Fresh herbs micro testing- washed with PAA sanitizer Storage Temp as a Process Control for Fresh Cut Produce? BRCGS Fresh Produce and Authenticity Fresh Sushi - Separate HACCP Plan for vegetables used? Clostridium Botulinum in Vacuum Packed Fresh Meat