What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Concerns of adding a plastic hang hook on a tea and sugar filter bag

Started by , Aug 15 2023 05:57 PM
2 Replies

Hi everyone, we are wanting to do something new with our product which consists of tea and sugar in a filter bag. We are wanting to add a hang hook or something similar to be able to hold it. The SDS on the hook says that it complies with title 21 CFR 175.105. Do I need any other documentation to be able to use this on our product? The hook will not come into contact with the ingredients that are inside the filter bag. It will be adhered on the outside seam.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
External warehouse - questions and concerns Romaine Ecoli concerns again Food Safety Concerns for Noodle Production using MAP Packaging GMP concerns of an employee wearing a personal belt How to secure ink pens without foreign material concerns?
[Ad]

Will this be used to make tea?  Reason I'm asking is will this hook then come into contact with hot water?

I would ask the same thing SQF_Scotty has, is this hook adhered to a teabag which is intended to be steeped in hot water still attached? From 21 CFR 175.105:

(a) Adhesives may be safely used as components of articles intended for use in packaging, transporting, or holding food in accordance with the following prescribed conditions:

(ii) In fatty and aqueous foods. (a ) The quantity of adhesive that contacts packaged fatty and aqueous foods shall not exceed the trace amount at seams and at the edge exposure between packaging laminates that may occur within the limits of good manufacturing practice.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that the hook/adhesive may not be designed with exposure to hot water in mind. Would the adhesive dissolve if submerged and end up in the tea? Maybe contact the manufacturer to see if these hooks have been used in this way before. They may have some advice too.

Similar Discussion Topics
External warehouse - questions and concerns Romaine Ecoli concerns again Food Safety Concerns for Noodle Production using MAP Packaging GMP concerns of an employee wearing a personal belt How to secure ink pens without foreign material concerns? Food safety concerns with demolition of nearby building Food Safety Concerns Storing CBD (Cannabidiol) in (Food and Beverages) Microbiology Concerns with Liquid Sucrose Food Safety and Quality Concerns for Deli Meat List of herbal supplements and their safety concerns?