What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Knife Control Policy

Started by , Dec 04 2023 07:43 PM
13 Replies

Hello - 

I had a question regarding knife control, I have yet to implement one but I found a lot of great information for me to put together a policy but now the question is what are some ways to tag the knives.  I was not sure about  putting tags on the handles as I know it can eventually fall off, would engraving be the best way? what are your guys experience with knife control? Thanks in advance. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Problems Implementing and Maintaining a Knife Control Policy Trying to find a food safe knife for opening bags Section 11.7.5.7 - Knife Control of Box Cutters Is it necessary to give each knife its own serial number? Knife Control for Delivery Drivers
[Ad]

We put numbers on the handles. Used an engraving tool. 

We used an engraver. 

Old plant I worked at use number stickers on the handle.  I knew eventually and auditor would hate that, but we didn't have issues with them falling off thanks to good training.  Employees were required to inspect every shift change or check in/out, and they were well trained that any peeling meant a supervisor had to replace the sticker.

Engraving is popular, though auditors will eventually declare it creates a harborage point.  If I were to institute a knife policy today with engraving, I'd test the knives for a couple weeks along with my facility's APC program to show the washing/sanitizing of them is effective.

1 Like

As much as I don't like using an engraving tool (so frustrating), this was the safest and most permanent way to keep track on our knives. Each employee had a number assigned to them, and that was the corresponding knife they would receive. 

My old company had a metal detectable retractable knife and we engraved it. There is also a register where you put the location and serial number of your knife and you check them monthly, may be replacing the blade or cleaning it. It was also tied to the station so we dont lose it.

Hi, 

Engraving is the best and the most permanent way. 

;) 

How many knives are we talking about? When I worked at a smaller company, we didn't need that many knives so it was easy to get knives with different handle colours. 

What about making little tiny stencils and spray painting the numbers on the handles? It cannot be easily removed, and there won't be areas for bacterial harborage.

From an engraving perspective, it may cause potential for harboring bacteria. 

These are just some suggestions from the top of my head I hope they help :) 

In a poultry slaughter house, knives were engraved, #'s were associated with an employee

Employee responsible for the knive

Supervisor responsible that all knives were returned end of shift

sanitation responsible for cleaning

maintenance responsible for sharpening

1 Like

Engraving in the metal of the knive is the best way.

Engraving is the most practical and feasible option.

How many knives are we talking about? When I worked at a smaller company, we didn't need that many knives so it was easy to get knives with different handle colours. 

What about making little tiny stencils and spray painting the numbers on the handles? It cannot be easily removed, and there won't be areas for bacterial harborage.

From an engraving perspective, it may cause potential for harboring bacteria. 

These are just some suggestions from the top of my head I hope they help :) 

My cleaning chemical always removes the paint we used to use to label the knives... didnt have a choice but to engrave it. But yeah, the downside is the harbouring of bacteria when engraved.

Thank you for everyones comment, I plan on getting an engraver of some sort for our knives. Currently we have about 20 knives since we cut different types of items.  

@new2fs

Here is a YouTube video showing how easy engraving is.

I was nervous to engrave our expensive knives, but it is just like using a pen.

If you're in the United States, a small engraver can be found on Amazon for less than $40.

Good luck! 

Similar Discussion Topics
Problems Implementing and Maintaining a Knife Control Policy Trying to find a food safe knife for opening bags Section 11.7.5.7 - Knife Control of Box Cutters Is it necessary to give each knife its own serial number? Knife Control for Delivery Drivers Bladeless Knife Program Folding knife that would be approved for use in the production? Knife Holder Magnet- Zone 1 or Zone 2 Location? Knife Tips - PRP, CP or CCP Is a knife policy necessary for box cutters in a food packaging manufacturer?