What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Kill step for powdered products

Started by , Dec 13 2023 08:07 PM
2 Replies

Hello, I have taken on a roll as a product developer for a pet treat company. One product we are working on is dog ice cream and it calls for gelatin. We are packing the dried powder base and having owners mix water and freeze so we dont have a kill step from cooking. We have not been able to find RTE gelatin powder and we need to figure out a kill step in house that we can do not just for this product but other powder based products as well. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? AIB Kill Step Calculator Kill step measurement for bakery items Justifying not having a proper kill step in cookie production Dehydration kill step validation
[Ad]

Hi Sbeetsch,

:welcome:

Welcome to the IFSQN forums.

Have you looked at irradiation?

Kind regards,

Tony

What do the directions for preparing say? Can any temperature of water be used?

I'm wondering if you could instruct customers to add the powder to boiling water and then freeze.

This would get your gelatin and all other ingredients above 165°F and take care of some pathogens.

It would require validation that texture/quality isn't affected, but I thought it could be an option.

Similar Discussion Topics
Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? AIB Kill Step Calculator Kill step measurement for bakery items Justifying not having a proper kill step in cookie production Dehydration kill step validation How would you kill listeria if it is present in the drains and floors? Kill Step Validation - Laboratory Spices Time/Temp for kill step? Extrusion Kill Step Validation Help Using UV Light for Factory Site to Kill Microbes