What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Flour Fortification in USA

Started by , Jan 11 2024 04:46 PM
2 Replies

Hello everyone :)

I have a question regarding flour fortification in USA; tried searching for some information online, but for someone completely unfamiliar with US regulations, reading and dissecting the legislation is a somewhat challenging task.

What I'm interested in is: -

• is flour fortification mandatory;

• is there a stipulation what products must/can be made with fortified flour (we make biscuits, which will be exported to US this year)

• is there a stipulation of required levels of fortificants in products made with fortified flour, or just the levels necessary for flour itself? 

Thank you all for your answers in advance! 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Flour Mill Environmental Monitoring Flour correctors and improvers vs wheat quality and mill setting Chemical treatment for red flour beetles and weevils Organic Status - Flour Production How do you keep traceability of bulk flour?
[Ad]

I am not really a wheat expert, but my understanding is this.   

1.  refined flours (those that have had the hulls and skin removed must be enriched.  Whole wheat flours do not need to be enriched.

2.   there is no rule that a product must be made / not made with any particular type of flour.  Baked products and flours made from whole wheat  are readily available in the Usa

3.  The only fortification required would be for the flour itself.   https://www.accessda....cfm?fr=137.165

Some quick google-fu seems to imply that enrichment is not a requirement generally speaking, but IF enrichment/fortificaiton is claimed then there are standards that must be met.

https://www.fda.gov/.../94563/download

Similar Discussion Topics
Flour Mill Environmental Monitoring Flour correctors and improvers vs wheat quality and mill setting Chemical treatment for red flour beetles and weevils Organic Status - Flour Production How do you keep traceability of bulk flour? How to control flour beetle in an organic mill? If a rat chews a sack of flour do you need to destroy the whole sack? Is it okay to use different standards in micro for flour testing? Size of the holes in the sieve used for flour, starch and semolina in foods Migration test for flour packaging