What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Air filtration for blast freezer

Started by , Feb 21 2024 12:21 PM
7 Replies

Hi everyone,

I am looking for if there are any regulations or guidelines for air filtration when blowing air at exposed meat and poultry food? We are designing the blast freezer and the refrigeration company was asking.

Thank you in advance.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
High risk area with positive pressure and microbiological air filtration Freezer a PC? Does the freezer need to be on the flow chart as a preventative control Freezer and Refrigerator Temperature How to mitigate or prevent Frost on Spiral Freezer entrance?
[Ad]

Hi, 

Not sure about regulations but BRC standard referring to Air & Gases 

4.5.3 Air and other gases used as an ingredient or that are in direct contact with products shall be monitored to ensure this does not represent a contamination risk. Compressed air that is in direct contact with the product shall be filtered at point of use. 

The main risks to consider are: the carry-over of boiler water-treatment chemicals in steam; dust particles in
compressed air; and oil used as a lubricant in compressed-air systems.

Compressed air in direct contact with products needs to be filtered prior to use, and the filters checked and maintained to ensure they remain effective. The gauge of filtration (e.g. mesh size) and frequency of checks should be documented and based on risk assessment, taking into account the source of the air, the type of compressors used and the condition of the pipework (e.g. evidence of corrosion). The compressor suppliers or experts should be consulted to establish any potential risks and any necessary testing. The objective of using filters is to prevent dust particles and lubricating oil from the compression system contaminating the products.

;)

Find it here:

SFCR: Sections 49; 56 to 71

https://inspection.c...616008092049#c4

The air inside the blast freezer is coming from your ambient air in the plant, so you should be doing annual (at least) settling plates for Y&M and micro

the air quality should be the same as it is in your open product areas. i have worked with blast chills in the past and we tested the air with plates as part of environmental monitoring.

Thanks all for your input. I guess the refrigeration company is looking for what is a good size for the screen to prevent small dust particles going through. IMEX, 0.01 micron would be ideal but then it requires maintenance to clean/replace filter more often

That seems excessive to me------------RTC or RTE?

That seems excessive to me------------RTC or RTE?

RTE products

The easiest thing to do would be to package prior to blast freezing as long as you can still achieve the required time/temps during cooling

Here are the requirements for cooling 

https://inspection.c...9/1522948254134

and cooking

https://inspection.c...4/1522942558310

Similar Discussion Topics
High risk area with positive pressure and microbiological air filtration Freezer a PC? Does the freezer need to be on the flow chart as a preventative control Freezer and Refrigerator Temperature How to mitigate or prevent Frost on Spiral Freezer entrance? Ideas on how to clean in a warehouse freezer? Air Filtration System Freezer Truck Refrigerant Unit Calibration Chiller and Freezer Breakdown Procedures Freezer Thermometer Calibration