What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SQF 2.3.2 - Mandatory Elements

Started by , Apr 14 2024 04:32 PM
10 Replies

How are clauses/elements that are not mandatory scored?   If the clause doesn't state mandatory, do we not address it?    For example we received majors for not having specifications.  However in the SQF book it does not say it is a mandatory clause/element.   Not sure if I'm not understanding correctly.  

2.3.2 Specifications (Raw Material, Packaging, Finished Product, and Services)

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Mandatory RCA for Internal Audit NCs? Inquiry about food safety culture elements Enclosed shipping area: Mandatory or preferably? Mandatory certificates or courses for SQF Tips on remembering all of the Sections, Clauses and Elements of SQF
[Ad]
Mandatory only means you cannot request an exemption from it.

The criteria for minor, major, or critical can be applied against any code item. Posting by phone so can’t go grab the definitions, but it basically goes to: whether the finding is a one off event that doesn’t affect food safety (minor), a systemic problem showing the programs/code are not being applied correctly or would affect food safety (major), or a direct observation that absolutely affects food safety (critical).

My *guess* based on not having specifications is that your program is lacking control over the spec process and wasn’t caught ahead of your actual audit when you self-audited yourself. Not having a spec for raw materials could mean missing valuable information about allergens contained or instructions for storing to prevent pathogen growth, making it a food safety hazard.
1 Like1 Thank

Mandatory only means you cannot request an exemption from it.

The criteria for minor, major, or critical can be applied against any code item. Posting by phone so can’t go grab the definitions, but it basically goes to: whether the finding is a one off event that doesn’t affect food safety (minor), a systemic problem showing the programs/code are not being applied correctly or would affect food safety (major), or a direct observation that absolutely affects food safety (critical).

My *guess* based on not having specifications is that your program is lacking control over the spec process and wasn’t caught ahead of your actual audit when you self-audited yourself. Not having a spec for raw materials could mean missing valuable information about allergens contained or instructions for storing to prevent pathogen growth, making it a food safety hazard.

Understand now, thank you.  We do have some specs, but not for all products.   Our industry is quite unique that specs cannot be too exact as we deal with what mother nature gives us.  Sizes, weights, cuts are ever changing.  

Understand now, thank you.  We do have some specs, but not for all products.   Our industry is quite unique that specs cannot be too exact as we deal with what mother nature gives us.  Sizes, weights, cuts are ever changing.  

You can write a spec that explains that!   If it includes some issues that would fail a product, be sure an include those

Your specs, your rules!

1 Thank

What scampi said.

We had a saying one time, create the spec so wide you could drive a bus through it.  looks like a potato, smells like a potato, tastes like a potato = probably a potato.   Then include anything that we cause you to not use (ingredient) or sell (final product) the item.  

1 Like1 Thank

Yeah, SQF can really muck up the process with this trip up of "mandatory" - it would make sense that one could skip everything else and only focus on mandatories, and that is where they get you.

Like Joe Peces says in Lethal Impact - they muck you at the drive-thru!

1 Thank

Yeah, SQF can really muck up the process with this trip up of "mandatory" - it would make sense that one could skip everything else and only focus on mandatories, and that is where they get you.

Like Joe Peces says in Lethal Impact - they muck you at the drive-thru!

The SQF edition 9 doesn't really provide clarity on clauses that are not "mandatory"   But glad you guys here have set me straight.  

You can write a spec that explains that!   If it includes some issues that would fail a product, be sure an include those

Your specs, your rules!

What scampi said.

We had a saying one time, create the spec so wide you could drive a bus through it.  looks like a potato, smells like a potato, tastes like a potato = probably a potato.   Then include anything that we cause you to not use (ingredient) or sell (final product) the item.  

Thanks!  We'll make it as wide as possible for sure.  It's the only way possible.  

The SQF edition 9 doesn't really provide clarity on clauses that are not "mandatory"   But glad you guys here have set me straight.  

Now that I'm reading this again from a computer, the explanation of "Mandatory" is found in their glossary:

Mandatory Elements: System elements that must be implemented and audited for a site to achieve SQF food safety certification. Mandatory elements cannot be exempted during a certification/re-certification audit.

20227fmin_foodmanufacturing_v3-2-final-w-links.pdf (sqfi.com)

Now that I'm reading this again from a computer, the explanation of "Mandatory" is found in their glossary:

Mandatory Elements: System elements that must be implemented and audited for a site to achieve SQF food safety certification. Mandatory elements cannot be exempted during a certification/re-certification audit.

20227fmin_foodmanufacturing_v3-2-final-w-links.pdf (sqfi.com)

I have the mandatory elements squared away.  The confusion was with the elements that are not listed as mandatory.   

Gotcha. You’re still required to comply with non-mandatory elements. However, before your audit, you can request to be exempted from them by writing your justification and why it doesn’t apply to your business.

Similar Discussion Topics
Mandatory RCA for Internal Audit NCs? Inquiry about food safety culture elements Enclosed shipping area: Mandatory or preferably? Mandatory certificates or courses for SQF Tips on remembering all of the Sections, Clauses and Elements of SQF What are the elements that need to be included in the final product specification? Is it possible to use elements and information from other systems in my FSSC 22000 system? Is wearing a mask mandatory in the factory candy packaging? Is it mandatory to put personal names in the organization chart? Specialty coffee roastery - HACCP elements - complete newbie!