What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Leaving Due to Lack of Support and Moral Objections

Started by , Apr 19 2024 08:09 PM
8 Replies

Happy Friday, everyone.

My question is for people who have left a company due to lack of support or differences in opinion.

As others have said, if things don't change, it's time to go.

I have gone above and beyond to ensure food safety. Thankfully, I have kept a journal of all projects, SOPs, and programs I have created. 

I am worried that the company will not give a positive reference despite all my hard work.

Has this situation impacted your ability to find another job?

It will be easy to explain in an interview, but I am worried about what my previous employer may say about me.

If they can't support me as an employee, why would they support me once I leave?

Hoping to hear some of your experiences in switching companies. Thank you in advance. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Leaving an unclean equipment on the line Boot Washers when leaving production areas Produce leaving a Distribution/Storage facility by customer How will the UK leaving the EU change the food industry? 2.7 Site security - Leaving contractors alone in production areas?
[Ad]

I would just ask any new potential employer to not contact your current and leave at that.  No sense in using a reference if they are not providing you with your projected value to the new company and do your really want to let your current job know you are looking elsewhere?  If there is someone in your current job that can provide a good reference then use them and maybe say don't talk to anyone about it, if they can be trusted that is.  

1 Like1 Thank
I don't give references voluntarily, usually none are needed and I have gotten the jobs based on the interview because if you know your stuff it shows. If im asked, i have coworkers that know my work that will be truthful. I have the same issue as you, i would select don't contact employer if its an option.
1 Like1 Thank

Tough spot, I've been there and feel for you.  I agree, if you don't have someone there that knows you are doing good work that you can list specifically, I wouldn't list that company as one to contact.  My last place was a nightmare, luckily I had a lot of support from my Director and I listed them.  If I didn't have them, I would have stated "Please don't contact this company" 

I still think about it though.  How long can a facility run like that before someone gets hurt? How come there seems to be so many that are willing to cut corners?  They all have that "it won't happen to us" attitude even though the signs are there.  

1 Thank

I agree with both above.

There is no reason to volunteer references and if asked why you don't want them to contact your last employer just tell them truth, that your employer was not meeting the same standards that they required of you - I'm thinking this sounds about right for you from what you mentioned and that is exactly what I said to someone at a company that I wanted to work for and then added, I am assuming Joanne that your company holds their employees to high standards - would you not agree that in turn as an employee you should hold them to the same high standards -   --- I remember somebody telling me to say that and it worked!!!

As an independent SQF Consultant that is self employed I get asked on almost every single development project for references, even from ones that were referred to me by a company that used our services for years. I just tell people I don't do references, I do superb work, period.  Do the same, it works when you carry yourself confidently.

References are over-rated anyway, and then you have to pay them off later on - just kidding!

1 Thank

I've never included references unless specifically asked. In the past I've asked that my former/current employer not be contacted unless to verify employment after I've been hired at the new company. Most places will respect that, and if they don't, it's likely a sign that you might not want to work for that company anyway.

I recommend networking by adding food industry recruiters on LinkedIn and contacting them to see if they have anything you may be a fit for. All of my positions in the industry so far were the result of recruiters reaching out to me during my job search. Keeping a good relationship with a few recruiters also comes in handy if you run into a situation like the one you're in and are looking to leave. 

Good luck in your job search!

1 Thank

Thanks, everyone. I know I can always count on this forum for support.

You all have been a huge help in my career, and I'll always be grateful for that.

3 Likes

I'm leaving my current employer due to similar reasons. Lack of support, lack of resource.  I think it's an industry wide problem.  It will swing round again with a few food scares I'm sure.  

But not sure about legislation in the US, however, most employers in the UK will now only confirm working dates.  This is because if they give out references, they are SO at risk of legal action on the accuracy of what they write.  I mean, imagine if a former employer gives a negative reference, causing you to lose a job offer.  A reference you didn't see and couldn't question before it was sent?  Even if it were accurate, which it's unlikely to be considering how subjective the process is, there are so many ways an employment lawyer would just rip that apart and if you also lost a job in that process, the damages could be high.

The other thing I've done in the past is found an ally in the company.  So it might not be my direct line manager but a senior leader elsewhere who rates me.  I've then used them as a reference.

Genuinely though I wouldn't worry about it too much.  EVEN if the worst happened and a negative report landed on the right desk, making it further than the HR Manager inbox (doubtful), any employer worth their salt would contact you to discuss it.  And you have evidence that you did do a good job.

2 Likes

The thing about references - I don't see them as reliable. My current job didn't ask for them. One would think, you would only put down references who are going to say positive things about you. If they aren't, then they shouldn't be down as references. 

I've see horrible employees get hired because they had great references. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Leaving an unclean equipment on the line Boot Washers when leaving production areas Produce leaving a Distribution/Storage facility by customer How will the UK leaving the EU change the food industry? 2.7 Site security - Leaving contractors alone in production areas? QA manager leaving the company, me having to take over I am leaving food safety profession