What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Harvest Morn - Organic Crunch Muesli

Started by , Oct 20 2006 11:51 AM
12 Replies
Last week I purchased from Aldi a packet of:

Harvest Morn - Organic Crunch Muesli
Organic crunchy muesli with raspberries, oats, coconut and almonds

Before I threw the empty box away I checked the ingredients and nutrition information.

Ingredients:
wholemeal oat flakes (49%), raw cane sugar, grated coconut (13%), spelt balls (maize, semolina, wholemeal flour, raw cane sugar, sea salt), vegetable fat, almonds (4%), spelt flour, dried raspberries (1%), sea salt.

Nutritional information:
Per 50g serving + 125ml semi-skimmed milk

Energy 1227kj (293kcal)
Protein 8.7g
Carbohydrate 33.0g
of which sugars 15.3g
Fat 14.0g
of which saturates 6.8g
Fibre 3.1g
Sodium 0.12g
Salt equivalent 0.41g

They were delicious and bearing in mind I have about an 80g serving, should I buy some more this weekend - is it safe?

TIA,
Simon
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Harvest ERP System Post harvest techniques to improve the quality and shelf life of fresh fruit Why is treated Post Harvest Wash Not a CCP Inkari Harvest How to deal with knife holders (sleeves) for harvest crew's knifes
[Ad]

They were delicious and bearing in mind I have about an 80g serving, should I buy some more this weekend - is it safe?

It sounds good too.

I have a couple of comments on this:

The product contains wheat - semolina and spelt - it therefore should say the word wheat on the ingredients list. It should be safe if you're not gluten intolerant.

The serving size you had was larger than the one on the box, this product seems to be fairly high in sugar and saturated fat, make sure you eat it as part of a balanced diet.

Eat it!

It sounds good too.

I have a couple of comments on this:

The product contains wheat - semolina and spelt - it therefore should say the word wheat on the ingredients list. It should be safe if you're not gluten intolerant.

I'm not gluten intolerant. What's spelt?

The serving size you had was larger than the one on the box, this product seems to be fairly high in sugar and saturated fat, make sure you eat it as part of a balanced diet.

Yes it does taste sweet, I also have the luxury fruit and nut muesli and tend to alternate between them, sometimes in the same bowl.

I try to have a balanced diet, but now winter's there is a definite urge to eat more meat and substantial meals. Probably the some sort of hibernationary, evolutionary instinct thing going on.

Cheers,
Simon
Dear Simon,

There seems to be 33% undefined.
No cholesterol data ?
Seem to remember that coconut is a potential source of salmonella.
"Spelt - A type of grain which was once widely cultivated throughout Europe, but which has now largely been superseded by wheat, which it is related to, although it is still grown in some mountainous regions of S Europe."

Not sure about safety but it should certainly promote regularity.

Rgds / Charles.C

I believe that raw coconut does support the growth of salmonella. Contamination can occur post harvest so it is important to pasteurise the coconut before desiccation.

The other thing to remember is that Almonds can contain aflatoxin.

Maybe you should stay clear of this potentially dangerous product!

"Spelt - A type of grain which was once widely cultivated throughout Europe, but which has now largely been superseded by wheat, which it is related to, although it is still grown in some mountainous regions of S Europe."

Thank you Charles.

Well that's good.

Maybe you should stay clear of this potentially dangerous product!

There are shades of dangerous and I think we can safely say Harvest Morn is a few shades lighter than the traditional full english fry up.

Thanks,
Simon
I now have weetabix (3) with a little sugar and semi skimmed milk for breakfast, a couple of hours later I'll have a banana and maybe an apple or an orange at elevenish. And I've still not had a cigarette since December 31st; been through several difficult cravings, for some reason the third week was the worst, but thus far I'm still smoke free.

Ahh that's better.

Simon

Dear Simon,

There seems to be 33% undefined.
No cholesterol data ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Charles
it doesn't need to list cholesterol in its nurtitional data
What's there is a Big 8 or Group 2 decleration which is totally legal.

I hope it had warnings of "may contain Nuts"...and not just eaten by one!

I hope it had warnings of "may contain Nuts"...and not just eaten by one!

Dear Cazynxx,

Thks the info., are you a weetabix lover also or hooked on nuts ?
You people must be reading this stuff while eating breakfast, probably not good for the digestion??

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear Cazynxx,

Thks the info., are you a weetabix lover also or hooked on nuts ?
You people must be reading this stuff while eating breakfast, probably not good for the digestion??
Rgds / Charles.C

Charles

I swing between special k, weetabix and porridge!
depends what's in my cupboard in work!
Dear Caz,

I didn't realise people had their breakfast at work in uk, or is this just a supplement ?
Have no idea what special K (vitamin?) is but these choices all seem like Simon's to be targeted on the 'regularity' factor. Does nobody eat toast/jam any more ? Dunking rich tea biscuits?

Rgds Charles.C

Does nobody eat toast/jam any more ? Dunking rich tea biscuits?

Toast and jam and toast and marmalade. Rich tea biscuits, nah, they're too bland and weak for dunking, you need something robust like a chocolate hobnob.

Simon

Similar Discussion Topics
Harvest ERP System Post harvest techniques to improve the quality and shelf life of fresh fruit Why is treated Post Harvest Wash Not a CCP Inkari Harvest How to deal with knife holders (sleeves) for harvest crew's knifes Harvest Containers NOT touching the ground