Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

I have written a policy and procedure for hand harvest containers (40 lb product containers) in order to keep them from touching the ground, but I have a question for any farm/harvest operation that uses large harvest bins (ex. cherries, hazelnuts). Could anyone share the process they use for keeping their large harvest bins (holds 1000 pounds of product plus ice water) from touching the ground when removing the large bins from the harvest machines and replacing empty bins onto the harvest machines? Is it necessary for even these large harvest bins during harvest in the orchard and in the loading dock to stay off the ground (on pallets, etc.)? Thank you!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hi Kajumom,

If you risk assess the ground is a hazard on 40lb bins then it's a hazard on bigger bins. What is the issue with them being on the ground?

Just a ‘heads up’ - I have deleted your other topic on the same subject. In addition it would be helpful when you post a topic and members reply that you acknowledge their input with a courtesy reply or thank you. That way you will be more likely to get replies in future.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

kajumom

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

Dear Simon,
Thank you for your reply. This is the first time that I have received a reply to my question, otherwise I definitely would have responded with a grateful acknowledgement. Thank you for deleting my other post - since I did not receive any replies - I thought it would be best to re-word the question and request a less extensive answer.

The problem with bins touching the ground is that the Global GAP audits and auditors as well as the SQF standards that I am working with presently state that all harvest containers may NOT touch the ground. If they do touch the ground they are considered contaminated for food product harvesting/storage until sanitary measures are used. That being said my previous employer (which only conducted hand harvesting in 40 lb bins) had a barrier container (red plastic harvest container) along with a food product harvest container (blue plastic harvest container). Providing our harvest labor with two separate containers in two separate colors and then training the harvest workers to only allow the red barrier container to touch the ground it kept the blue harvest container off the ground.

Now I am working with an employer that harvests cherries and hazelnuts. The bins are large 1000 pound capacity harvest containers and I am curious how other farmers provide for the standards required "no harvest bins allowed to touch the ground". Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Hi Kajumom,

If you risk assess the ground is a hazard on 40lb bins then it's a hazard on bigger bins. What is the issue with them being on the ground?

Just a ‘heads up’ - I have deleted your other topic on the same subject. In addition it would be helpful when you post a topic and members reply that you acknowledge their input with a courtesy reply or thank you. That way you will be more likely to get replies in future.

Regards,
Simon

kajumom

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

Simon,

I received your previous email today informing us about the standards available for SQF and BRC through IFSQN. Thank you!

I have a question about the difference between the standards that I can find on the web (online - SQF version 7) and the ones that IFSQN provides. I downloaded and saved the Version 7 SQF standards but upon receiving your email I noticed that the SQF Code was available for @ $800. I know I must be missing something with what I downloaded and what I can purchase. Correct?

I apologize for my ignorance. All my previous experience has been with Global GAP and Primus and all there standards and supporting paperwork is available for download on their website. I am new to the SQF and BRC standards where I may need to invest in purchases.

Thank you for your guidance.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hi Kajumom,

I believe the SQF standards are freely available from the SQF website.

We don't sell standards and have nothing to do with the Safe Quality Food Institute.

What we sell are Food Safety Management System documentation packages that include policies, procedures, documents and records. Companies use and edit our systems to develop a compliant system. Our systems give customers a very good 'head start' - you can find more details here >>

Hope that makes it clear for you.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

kajumom

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

Thank you Simon!

I understand now and appreciate the resource link.

Did you by chance understand my previous request concerning SQF, GLOBAL GAP requirements concerning harvest containers?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Hi Kajumom,

I believe the SQF standards are freely available from the SQF website.

We don't sell standards and have nothing to do with the Safe Quality Food Institute.

What we sell are Food Safety Management System documentation packages that include policies, procedures, documents and records. Companies use and edit our systems to develop a compliant system. Our systems give customers a very good 'head start' - you can find more details here >>

Hope that makes it clear for you.

Regards,
Simon

kajumom

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

Okay now I am really confused!

SQF Version 7 - Standard 7.4 (and more directly 7.4.1.3) states that "packaging materials (not harvest containers - but similar) shall be appropriate for their intended use(d) [sic] and stored in a manner that prevents contamination. A written policy shall be in place that identifies how packing materials (not harvest containers - but similar) are permitted in direct contact with soil."

All my years being audited under Global GAP and Primus this was a HUGE non-compliance point. Packing materials or harvest containers were never allowed to touch the ground.

Can someone help me iron this out?

Thank you!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users